Robins

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Oh boy! I get to be one of the first folks to christen this new forum!

I am thrilled! Absolutely excited to have TONS of Red-breasted Robins all over my backyard today! Whoo Hoo!

Thumbnail by beckygardener
Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Well darn becky, we all had the same thing in mind, being the first one...okay, your 4 hours ahead of me, and probably wide awake. Ii'm still asleep.

LOL! I wasn't trying to be the "first", I just wanted to be one of the ones to get it rolling .....

I think the attraction to my backyard is the two small container ponds I have. I am finding bird droppings ALL over the pond! LOL!

Unfortunately, the seeds that I am seeing in the droppings are from the invasive Red Pepper Tree berries. Ugh!!!

Marlton, NJ

Becky, Do you ever see the Painted Buntings in your yard? I know Gardenpom see's them a lot.
Your right about the water features being a big attraction.

Well, my neighbor 2 houses down, has what she thinks is a mating pair that hang around her backyard constantly. (Of course, she has a bird feeder and I don't have mine up yet! lol) I have seen one in my yard and they are absolutely stunning! I guess I need to get on the ball and hang my feeder! :-)

If I do see one, I'll try to get a shot of it to post here on our NEW BIRD FORUM! :-)

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Awww, I just love robins. I love watching them "work over" the lawn in the evenings when they start their fall flocking habits. Here is a shot of a baby that spent the spring on our lawn in 2006.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn

Ooooh! How cute is that, lilyfantn! Did it survive?

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Surprising Robins are I bird I don't see around here. Cardinals are the common bird busy flying all around.

My Dad up North gets up every morning to feed the Robins and few othr bird s in his yard. he been doing that about 40 years now. If he doesn't get up early enough to feed them, they will let him know pretty quickly. LOL

Melbourne, FL

I've only seen the Robins briefly this year. Did you know they get "drunk" on the Brazilian Pepper Tree berries? After eating the berries they love water to wash them down. I used to put up a sprinkler for them.

Oh, that is soooo funny! I had no idea! I guess the flock in my yard are nursing a hang-over on New Year's Day! ROFL!

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Yes, it did survive which is pretty amazing because there are a lot of roving cats in my neighborhood. Here it is again when it was a little older.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn

How awesome that he made it to adulthood! What a great photo of him! They are such brave birds, IMHO! They keep coming back to my pond everytime I go back inside the house! LOL

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

You are so right about those robins being brave! Cajones is what we call it! :) In our newly bought pet-less home, we had a couple choose to build their spring nest in the lowest boughs of our backyard redbud tree, about 2 feet from the ground! Wanna see?

Thumbnail by hem_iamy
Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

That is so wonderful - you always hear "Robin's Egg Blue," and that sure explains why!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

This baby Robin was "hiding" under the plants while Mom looked for worms to bring to it last spring.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

That is amazing, amylen, that they would put a nest so low to the ground. Love that blue color of eggs! Maybe I'll get lucky like you and have a nest at some point in time in my yard. That would be really neat!

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Awww, what a cute nest! I just got some robin egg soaps this Christmas. I culdn't resist when I saw them - just the reminder that spring will come that I needed!

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Thanks fellow bird lovers! We were privileged with seeing these babies grow up~ unfortunately we were on vacation in early May when they hatched, but came home to find them soon after the fact (maybe a day or two old?) What a gift!

Sheila, that pic is absolutely adorable!

Lilyfan, too cute! I need one :)

~Amy :)

Thumbnail by hem_iamy
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

It's my hunch these guys felt safe here because most of our neighbors have dogs and we do not~ The prior owners of the house did and perhaps the robins were feeling empowered :)

Here's the hungry guys a day later, eyes probaby not too good yet because they were asking for food from ME! Instincts at work~

All the while Mom&Dad Robin watched from the neighbors' with a cautious eye...

edited to say~ I just noticed there were FOUR eggs in the first pic....oh how sad.... :(

This message was edited Jan 1, 2007 12:45 PM

Thumbnail by hem_iamy
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

I still see four babies in your second photo. The fourth one just doesn't have its mouth open in the second photo. Its laying down in front. Maybe it was to last to get fed and is resting while digesting?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

A week later, fully feathered~ see how much they've grown! Definitely more wary of me now as well...
I guess the in between pics weren't too good,... :(

Thumbnail by hem_iamy
Marlton, NJ

Great shots amylen!

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Wow, great pics! I know what they are thinking in that last pic... "MOM, I need my own room!"

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Lilyfan, you're right! about #4! :) We cross-posted...
I hope the fourth is under these guys...

LOLNo kidding! Outgrowing the nest ~ I believe they took off for their own a few mornings after, I had it in my head that they stuck around and would visit every once in awhile when I saw spotted younguns in the yard throughout the summer... maybe...

Thanks Pell!

Thumbnail by hem_iamy
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I am so enjoying your robin pictures. We rarely see them for some reason. Wonderful nest shots! So cute.
Deb

Hebron, KY

Thanks for sharing those wonderful and darling photos!

Marilyn

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Oh, I miss robins! We had them in town, but since moving to the country we don't see them as often. Too wooded probably. They did pass through here this fall (I think it was) and they were every where! The trees and ground seemed to be crawling with them. It was nice while it lasted!

DH and I both enjoy watching birds but aren't as knowlegable as so many on DH. Hoping to learn from you!

Debra

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

The nest through the last shot are great Amy! I haven't gotten a good spot for a pic of the nests. Thanks for sharing the vision.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Thanks all, I was lucky to have this great privilege right in the backyard~ (and to have these guys year round)~
The opportunity to learn and share on this forum is AWESOME...
~Amy :)

Thumbnail by hem_iamy
Marlton, NJ

Beautiful pic amylen!

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

The color of those robin eggs makes one in even greater awe of nature.

Debra

I loved all the Robin photos everyone! Thanks for sharing them and your own personal Robin stories! Gotta love those red-breasted birdies with their funky eye make-up! :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.