Another wallpaper catastrophe!

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

I've read over the past year about removing wallpaper, because my house is full of old, out of style paper. I've known for some time that several places had "paper on paper" and this makes it more cumbersome. And I have put off removing it for that reason.

Well, I finally decided to re-do my home office (formerly a formal dining room). It makes a great home office since it's in the back corner of the house with the kitchen on one side, the living room in front, a window overlooking the driveway on the other side, and the carport wall at the back (no window). There is only paper on one wall of this room and it is the carport wall with no window.

This is the one spot in this house where I was fairly sure it was just one layer of paper, so last night I proceeded to score it and spray it with DIF and remove it, and GUESS WHAT? Two layers of paper! AAaaarrrrggghhh!

Anyway, we got almost all of the top layer off, and part of the second layer. I was sad to find that the original paper is a wallpaper mural with a road/lane in the center. It has a low stone retaining wall on each side of the lane and there are trees and what look like pink azaleas at the base and a faux river birch bark background.... wish I could save it! But alas, it is old and faded and messed up from the other layer of paper.

My problem comes in finding that the original paper was stuck onto un-primed sheetrock! There are vertical places where they did the joint covering that have a thin layer of paint but the rest of the wall is bare sheetrock!

How do I remove that old, old paper without messing up the sheetrock?

Here are some pics....
my old paper (yuk! yellow with navy blue flowers, sage green leaves, and a touch of some brown color)

This message was edited Dec 31, 2006 10:48 AM

Thumbnail by gardenergail
This thread has 31 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!