grafting classes and a complaint about Mi M. Garden'r Prog.

Saint Clair Shores, MI(Zone 6b)

Are there any grafting classes offered within about an hour or so of Macomb County. I heard about such a class at Gee Farms, but I couldn't find out if it was just offered to the conifer society or if it was open to all (or if it just dealt with grafting conifers or was a general grafting class).

Also, in researching the Mi Master Gardener program, the closest local class to me will be offered Thursdays from Jan to March (sounds good so far) but the class is offered DURING THE DAY 9-3pm??!?? How is it that such programs, car dealerships and banks are only open and available during the hours when people who work to afford such things are working to afford such things?

As a mostly self-taught and self-motivated gardener, is such a program even really worthwhile? I am already a pretty accomplished gardener (if I do say so myself) pushing the zonal limit and able to identify most perennials and trees found locally by sight. I also have a very good understanding of the science behind plants and their structures and reproduction. What else would I get out of the program other than something to add to my list of accomplishments?

~Chills

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

There's a MG class starting in Deroit in a couple of weeks. I don't know if you want to drive down there or not. It on Sat mornings.
If you want details dmail me.
Paul

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Myself I dont think its worth the $$ or time. Im a self taught gardener and im not looking for a title or something on my resume-dont have time for a real job!
But for others they find it worthwhile-think of all the plants you can buy with that money you would pay for the class!

Good luck in your search!
dori

Lexington, MI(Zone 6a)

I agree with notmartha, I took the class many years ago and found it mostly a volunteerism program. Which has it's place. At the time I was working a lot with 4H kids. It's more for the inexperienced or novice gardener. Although I know many experienced gardeners who have found the program worthwhile. I see it as a gardening community full of very nice people who volunteer their time to teach gardening to others and work in public gardens. I manage to work in public gardens and teach, even having dropped my membership many years ago. With your experience you might want to look into the classes given by the Michigan School of Gardening: http://www.michigangardening.com/ . You might even request the class you're interested in if you don't see it listed.

Hope you find what you're looking for,
Jeane

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

I've been a Master Gardener since 1997.
I have found the program to be very rewarding as well as educational,

Master Gardeners do alot of community service as well as helping to teach others about gardening.

We offer an hotline where gardeners can call in to have questions answered as well as dianogstic services where residents can bring in samples of problewm plants.

We have speakers at our monthly meetings who lecture on a variety of subjects. I look at it we can never stop learning.

I've been teaching a 2nd grade class about gardening for the past 3 years, this is most rewarding.

Besides all of that, we're a bunch of really nice people, who like to help others.

Paul

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

A few years ago, I signed my son up for a Junior Master Gardening program .............. we both enjoyed it and I think it really encouraged his interest in gardening. He didn't take the 2nd level of the classes, but it did spark his interest, and he has a small daylily hybridizing program going now.

Great way to encourage young gardeners.

West Bloomfield, MI

There is a grafting class at Gee Farms open to anyone who is interested $50.00 10:00-3:00 Jan 20,2007 Call to see if there is still room.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.