Hemiptera > Family:Thyreocoridae

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

After months, months and months of mistakenly searching for an insect as a beetle, I have identified an insect in the True Bug Family as a Corimelaena sp. (probably Corimelaena pulicaria). I was overjoyed. It is listed as being in the Thyreocoridae Family (Hemiptera > Suborder: Heteroptera > Pentatomomorpha > Superfamily: Pentatomoidea > Family: Thyreocoridae). I would like to enter it in the BugFiles; however, I find no such family listed under the Order Hemiptera in the BugFiles.

Pentatomoidea contains the following families: Acanthosomatidae, Aphylidae, Canopidae, Cydnidae, Dinidoridae, Lestoniidae, Megarididae, Pentatomidae, Phloeidae, Plataspididae (Plataspidae), Scutelleridae, Tessaratomidae, Thaumastellidae, Thyreocoridae (Corimelaenidae), and Urostylididae (Urostylidae). As listed above, Pentatomidae and Thyreocoridae are separate families. I am confused as to how the families have been listed. Have they been consolidated?

Not knowing much about insect classification (nor identification, for that matter), I do not know where to place the insect. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

htop,
I am pleased that you have managed to identify your bug and we will be delighted to have your images added to BugFiles. The fact that we have no records so far for any bugs in the Thyreocoridae should not be a problem.
Select:
Add a new bug to the database.
from the BugFiles home page and enter:
the Order as: Hemiptera
the Family as: Thyreocoridae
the Genus as: Corimelaena
the Species as: pulicaria
and a new entry wil;l be created into which you can upload your images,

Sometime thereafter, the family will appear in the expansion of the Hemiptera Order
Ken

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate your time. I didn't know that I could add Families to the Orders. Having added lots of plants to the PlantFiles, I have been trying to expand the number of entries in the BugFiles. I hope you have a wonderful new year. .:o)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images