What smells good where you are?

Daphne is the star today!......mmmmmmm :)

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

In the evenings ~ a combination of ginger and jasmine ~ tis wonderful!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

My gardenias have bloomed all summer and the Rangoon creeper.

Jeri

wisteria welcomes Spring down here

Thumbnail by
Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Lovely Wisteria,, I can smell it all the way to Georgia,
Elaine

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Right now, Sweet Annie is wonderful! Is there anyone else that grows it even though it is so profusely self sowing that it is a weed?

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

OOOOHHHH, now I remember why I have spent all my time on these. The smell is intoxicating...
Elaine

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1

Beautiful Brugmansia ~ how are you planning to overwinter it?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

My Maypop Passi's are filling the air w/a subtle sweet scent.

Thumbnail by Chantell
Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

hmmm,,, now I have some cuttings already of my brugs, and I may just plant some in the ground under the shelter of trees. I had some that I left in the ground last year and they did just fine. I have maypop seeds drying in the garage and also threw some out in the woods to grow and feed my gulf frits.
Elaine

Spring here the blossoms scent the air

Thumbnail by
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Beautiful Chrissy!!!!

I have blooms on my brug still. We came home from the beach to find about 5 on it. Guess it thrives on neglect. The smell was awesome! My gingers aren't blooming. They're real tall, but no blooms. Any secret?

IO1 ~ any buds ong the gingers? I really haven't done much to make mine bloom. They have had blooms for a month. They do take an incredible amount of water tho...

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

My Thai Pink Profusion bloomed for me this year...my first ginger bloom!!! They come and go quickly it seems...

Nope ... no sign of any buds. :-(

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Apple Mint, Spearmint,and Pepermint. I let them run their roots through the lawn and when I mow, it smells wonderful. The Catmint,Catnip,Russian Sage and Sweet Basil are very fragrant so far. The Russian Sage has flowered and the smell is outstanding. Everyone who visits the backyard gets aroma therapy and leaves a little happier and healthier with a bouquet of any herbs they find healing.This season it is staying warmer than usual for PA. and the herbs are enjoying themselves. The Lavender and Oregano are very pungent and I have delayed harvesting them for another week. The Blaze and Fourth of July Roses are in bloom again for the fourth time and they are quite fragrant too. There are many other herbs in the backyard that I didn't mention,all of them planted with aroma in mind. It is so enjoyable outside this year. Last year every plant in our yard was finished by the end of September.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

mmmm, brugs are wonderful smelling and still full of buds ready to bloom. Also I have Eleagnus --wayyyy out in the woods on the property line and it smells heavenly. Basil,, mint, pineapple sage.
Elaine

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I just brought my brug inside - last night was our first night of frost - My staircase smells heavenly with the brug placed on the landing.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

tea olive, brugs soon it will be elaeagnus (sp?)

A surprise visit from the Daddy Blue petunias ~ reseeded and blooming! Incredibly fragrant. Smells wistfully like spring...

Thumbnail by podster
Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

gardenias... still blooming. I always keep a bud inside if there are any.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

oh yes, those too.... just not ours, but the ones around town

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

My Brunfelsia gigantea is putting on quite a show right now--my greenhouse smells really pretty every time I open up the door!

Thumbnail by ecrane3
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

brugs, tea olive, sambac jasmine and my plumeria is putting out an inflo. also, although its not fragrant,the poinsettia is about to bloom...

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, here in New England - my Scentsation mini rose smells terrific! As does the Welsh Gold. Brugs have been put to bed for the winter.

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Dwarf Ylang-Ylang is blooming again, just heavenly!

Thumbnail by svplantingfool
Phoenix, AZ

My very favorite fragrance in the garden is Daphne. I love it. We had it in Northern California in abundance in our garden. I haven't tried it here in AZ but I'd lay lots of money on a bet that it won't survive here.

Anyone else love it as I do?

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh my goodness yes. Daphne is the best of all. Here's my big one:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/658869/

It's not blooming yet but is full of buds (despite our horrible drought) and should be in full glory by mid-January. Can't wait.

Now we still have a few gardenia blooms scenting the air; and some of the camelias have just a hit of fragrance. That's about it (except for herbs in the makeshift greenhouse)

Phoenix, AZ

I'm salivating.

I can smell your Daphne all the way here in sunny, warm, dry Phoenix.

Good luck with a bountiful blooming season and I hope and pray you're soon out of the woods with that drought. I know how bad it can be.

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

LOL. Our friend from down the road says that when she can walk here blindfolded and know when she's at our driveway, as long as the daphne is blooming.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

The sweetest fragrance in my yard right now is the sweet aroma of the compost pile. It smells like fresh cut grass and sweet earth.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

So jealous of you all and your daphne!!! A kind DGer shared some hardwood cuttings with me some time ago but sadly I couldn't get them to root. When I opened that box - the scent was incredible!!

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

I have lots of problems getting Daphne to root too, Chantell. After many years of trying, I'm finally beginning to achieve a little success, but still have only a few very tiny rootings to show for it. I'll keep trying though -- would be very happy to share if only I could figure out a way to do it!
jo

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Well that gives me hope, Jo...at least you have some roots to show for it!!! :) OT - I realized today 2 of my cold hardy gardenias are still looking great...hey, if I can keep those alive....I'll be thrilled. It's these small victories!!!

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, gardenias are wonderful too. Like yours, ours are doing very well. And I have no problem at all rooting these! Go figure... You know,maybe it's the time of year that matters for rooting those daphnes. Maybe they do better if they're cut in the spring... or the fall... or maybe even the summer (since they bloom in the winter)...

.. or maybe it's where they're cut (hardwood, softwood, or in-between). If I could get my act together I could test this "scientifically" considering Mama-daphne is so huge (no problem getting cuttings). I'll try.

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

Right now the 'Cherry Baby' oncidium is full of infloresences. Supposed to smell like chocolate but to me is closer to vanilla- very sweet scent. The night blooming jasmine is so full of flowers and the heliconia are happy with this cooler weather. The Stephanotis and miniature Ylang Ylang seem to always have flowers and my Michelia alba is just beginning to perform for me this year.

Fauna, do you have your M. alba in the ground or in a pot?
Cathy

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

In the ground. It got more attention when it was containerized, but the plant seems to be really hearty all around and loves the humus product I gave her. I also put it in an area that is not full sun as a bit of a test. They really seem to tolerate a lot of conditions, but I would say that her sisters at the nursery in full sun are more prolific in terms of flowers in higher light. Also,I am interested in anyone's experience, if any, gathering seed from Michelia champaca.

Thanks fauna, I had one in a pot and I think I used too heavy of a soil mix, it died. I was so sad. I'll get a replacement next spring and definitely put it in the ground.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.