New Arborday.org Hardiness Zone Maps

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm cross-posting this in the forums I most visit.

http://www.arborday.org/media/zones.cfm

It's my understanding this is very close to the new USDA map.

Happy holidays!

-Joe G.

Thornton, IL

hi joegee - I can't tell whether I'm in Z5 still or not, one of those, he he.

Greeley, CO(Zone 5a)

With all of this bitter cold weather, I think I will be in Zone 1

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Remarkable! All that change from just 1990 to 2006. A lot of people have been upgraded a whole zone number. If this keeps up, we won't need a greenhouse to grow orchids.

MM

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I punched in my zip code and it says I am now in zone 7. I am planting a few things to test the new zone that are available on a coop, so I won't be out lots of money if they fail. Patti

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

We thought ourselves to be zone 4b but that map says we're 6 !!! Whew!! It's like moving south without the expense.

MollyD

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

Heh, I don't think I would automatically go ahead and purchase many plants for z6 without doing some trials first. I believe these maps more accurately portray my local climate as I experience it, but I still respect the possibilities for lows (including historic lows) that are much colder than the new map implies. Although I am firmly in the middle of zone 6, and I was 5b/6a on the old map, I still have to remember that in the early 90's we hit -26F here, and that anything I plant must at least be able to survive the occasional freak cold spell, or it must be in a protected area and I have to be willing to go the extra length to protect it from extremes. :)

That doesn't prevent me from pushing my zones a bit, but I accept the necessity of protecting some of the more delicate things I have growing (my Kleim's Hardy gardenia, my trachycarpus fortuneii palm tree, my musa basjoo banana plant.)

-Joe

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Very true Joe! I usually mulch heavily any plant that I'm not sure can take the worst we've got to offer it. Most winters we hit negative double digits for a week or two at a time. This morning we were down to 6 and it's not even Feb. Feb/March are usually our coldest months.

MollyD

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Our current temperature is -5°F, which oddly enough, is lower than our "low". Our wind chill with 16mph winds is -26°F. This is our "continuously updating" current weather in Manchester, Maine: http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USME0235.html

MM

P.S. Wow! We've warmed up to 2° F already.

This message was edited Jan 17, 2007 11:19 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.