Breakthru #2: D

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

D, AKA Dakota, AKA something better not named here. Former house owner's alpha male who rules the pasture and has cut up both my mares and I just wanted out of my barn.
He threw a shoe and cut up his foot about 2 weeks ago so I called his owner to come look. Ted comes to look and I happened to be standing next to D in the barn when Ted showed up so I grabbed his halter and had DH throw me a line or we'd be chasing D for the next 2 hours. Walked him out for Ted to look at. Ted looks and says no biggie, will call ferrier to come replace shoe. As he's standing there holding D, I admit that D terrifies me. He looks at me and says he's just a big ole baby, why would I be scared. So I reach over and am petting him as Ted's talking to me and DH.
Next day I'm cleaning stalls and in walks D. He walks up to me and gets right in my face and starts sniffing me. I just stood there and let him and he's been as sweet as could be ever since. No clue how, what, why, but, he's accepted me and now I can do something his owners can't. I can walk up to him in the pasture and put a lead line on him. They have to get food and get him into a stall or chase him for two hours :-)
Picture of D with Abby :-) He likes her too...but I don't trust him enough yet to have them on both sides of the fence together.

Thumbnail by DevilDogs
This thread has 4 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!