Wish Me Luck!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Well, today is the day we transfer the last of the data from my old computer into an external drive, then wipe it clean and reload it for my son. This transfer process always unnerves me, because I think I will lose valuable information along the way, or my new computer just won't like my old data. This time I have a computer guru to make the change, but still I worry. He's due here in about a half hour to transfer my programs before giving this old friend a complete case of amnesia. I've become accustomed to this computer in the last four years, though it was a rocky start in the beginning.

We bought the floor model, so someone had already assigned themselves as the administrator. We couldn't even get into the computer without the password, and it took several days to get it from CompUSA. We have never managed to get rid of 'Joe', though he probably isn't working for CompUSA these days. He could be graduating college or in prison for all I know, but he is with me every stinking day on this computer. Wiping out 'Joe' is the only thing that keeps me from panicking. I'll be so glad to be rid of him.

At least, this time, we will not be initiating a new operating system. XP was pretty new when we got it, and there were lots of bugs and my hardware just didn't seem to work with it. I'm hoping this will be a smoother ride. The new computer sits here, next to my old buddy... not a Compaq this time, but a Gateway. My old computer is a soft beige with some gray plastic on the front. The new one is silver and black. My old monitor has a flat screen, but not the LCD type. It takes up a lot of desktop. The new one is thin and flat, wide-screened and sleek. I've lost a lot of the brightness in my old monitor, so I'm looking forward to seeing my flower photos with a bit more light.

The new computer will be much faster than the old. The old one was much faster than the one before. Speed is relative, I guess. This old machine is so cluttered with my data that it walks around confused most of the time, cranking away like a New Years noise maker. The old computer and me have a lot in common. My guru tells me I will probably keep the good speed on my computer if I leave my large files on the external hard drive. I plan to do that, but who knows. It seems rude to visit the new computer each day, have it edit pictures, then store them somewhere else where it cannot look at them. Good grief, I need to get out more....

This thread has 9 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!