What's a good dog for 2 acres w/ small nursery and chickens?

Geneva, FL(Zone 9b)

I would like to find a breed of dog that would be good on my two fenced acres. I have a house in the back part and the rest is basically beautifully fenced pasture land lined with old oak trees. The house and yard are cross fenced from the rest of the land and there is a good gate. The front acreage will be used for fruit trees and a small nursery. As my other half and I both have jobs we are not home all day, so that pretty much does out my golden retriever idea-----too demanding of time. We would be home around 4 PM each day, though, and home a lot on weekends, so the pooch would get plenty of attention at those times. I also need a dog that will not want to kill every chicken or goose in sight. Labs are also out here. Border colies and Aussie shepards are also too high maintenence and need regular supervision/someone around most of every day or they get bored and can become destructive. The dog can be both inside and outside---probably outside whil we are gone during the morning and afternoon to keep an eye on things. I am wary of gernam shepards, dobermans, and rottweilers due to either too many movies I've seen, or, the stories I hear that they can turn on their owners, and/or bite family members who don't live with you.

We are considering a welsh or pembroke corgi (maybe a second one later on), as I heard they are good candidates. Any other ideas from you more experienced farm folks? Good watchdog skills, loyal, affectionate, would also be nice. :) This'll be our first dog on our new property.

Thanks!

This thread has 84 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!