How to grow Brussel Sprouts?

Graham, WA(Zone 8a)

New to the forum, as of today. Here a question for the brussel sprout gardeners of the world.

How do you do it? I have tried several times and have ended up with nothing. Ok, maybe not "nothing", but let's say "they bolted" on me.

I dearly love brussel sprouts and would prefer to grow them in my own veg garden than having to purchase them at the store (eating local is one of my life challenges).

Tell me what works best for you...love to hear about it.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

In your area, you should plant (transplant) after July 1. If they get big enough while daylenght is increasing they will bolt, but rarely with decreasing daylenght. Usually do well as a fall maturing vegetable. Frost does improve the flavor.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Are they really slow growers? I planted some in Late septmber. They have nice green tops and are about a foot now but no sprouts yet.

BB

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Yes, a minimum of three months from transplants, and even slower in the fall and winter. Hopefully yours will head up before March. They will be tempted to bolt in March.

Thanks

I checked when I got home. I'm starting to get some small sprouts

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

What does bolting mean? I like brussels sprouts too. Can I grow them in Houston, or is it too hot here?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Bolting = sending out seedheads.

So the plant bypasses producing fruit and heads straight for reproduction?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Well technically a sprout is a tight bundle of leaves not a fruit, but yes. Cabbages do the same thing, start to form a head, which splits open and up runs the seed stalk.

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

Gymgirl,

Yup, that's pretty much what happens. The plant sort of knows that conditions are rapidly approaching which will lead to it's end, and it tries to ensure it's next generation gets started, by going to seed.

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

Gymgirl I'm in the same zone as you. I haven't had success with brussel sprouts but will try again. The only way for us to grow the cole crops is to set out plants in mid to late October. I've had great luck with cabbage and brocolli and the sprouts should work too. Frost doesn't hurt them and you can harvest as soon as they get large enough. They're heavy feeders.

Twiggybuds,
Have you ever done lettuce and/spinach, and, if so, When do you put out your lettuce and spinach seedlings. I know they prefer to grow in colder temps, so I'm thinking mid-fall or so (first weekend in October, perhaps?).

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

Yes same timing for lettuce, onion family, carrots, beets, radishes. Potatoes should be planted asap. Lettuce is pretty in your bare spots in the flower beds. I had some near my front door and had lots of folks asking what it was, I guess because it was lime green in the midst of brown. I like to scatter some onion sets in the flower beds too since they're closer to the back door (as in handy). Mercifully many of these things are fast growing and still have time to make a crop. If winter continues to be mild, you could gamble with some cheap seeds from Walmart and might get lucky.

Twiggybuds,
I'm hearing you about this warm WINTER we're having in Houston! My flowering plants are so confused! I have geraniums that are in full bloom! And last night it got down to 37 degrees, I believe!

Anyway, I'm gonna take advantage of the warm weather and chance planting my seedlings earlier than the schedule says to. I figure by later this month or early next month, it'll start getting consistently cold days and nights. But, by then, the seedlings will be well on their way under the flourescent lights. Hopefully, I can stagger plant most of them for a continuous harvest from mid-June all the way through mid-October, at least! Of course, this is just the newbie talking!

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

As long as you are prepared to cover them with a frost blanket or shade cloth as the weather requires, your plants will be allright. My intuition tells me the odd ball "out of season" weather changes will continue: heat waves followed by cold waves. We'll just have to cater to our crop.

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

I don't think consistantly cold is likely, we have consistently schizophrenic weather. I think you might have some luck by just planting seeds in your garden now. As long as the days are getting into the 50's with nites just above freezing they would probably germinate. If you heard of a freak cold snap coming, bed sheets would save them like GM said. I think I've talked myself into planting a pot full of radishes. They'll be ready in a month if all goes well.

Phoenix, AZ

Hello from Arizona! My little brussels sprouts are looking so cute I just had to send in a picture. They're not quite ready to pick yet...but it'll be soon because I really love them when they are smaller. (It sure is torture to wait the 3+ months for them....thankfully there's been lots of broccoli to cut the past few weeks, hehe)
~Kim

Thumbnail by GothicGarden

Kim,

Those are too cute! I love brussels sprouts. How do you grow them? Send details, please, and thanks for the post!

They really like cood weather Gym. How cool does it get near you?

BB

We've had an unseasonably warm winter down in Houston. Having a cold snap these last two days, down to 30. But, we've averaged around 50 degrees most of november and december. We just dropped down in the last week or so.

The is the first year I've been able to come close to growing them successfully but the cool weather seems to make a difference to them. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but if you can grow other members of the brassica famliy such as cabbage and kale etc, I'm sure you can grow sprouts

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.