Seagulls, et al

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

I seldom see photos posted anywhere of seagulls. In addition to Canada Geese, I find seagulls one of the best and easier subjects to practice on for moving subjects. Generally, you don't have to go too far to find them. And, they can provide interesting photos. I'm still becoming familiar with the various species so please excuse no name. Most of them are Ring-billed Gulls, I think.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Photo #2 ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Photo #3 ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Photo #4 ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Photo #5 ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

and Photo #6 ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

This is the time of the year, I try to get some quality photos of waterfowl that have migrated south for the winter. As is always the case, one must be at the right place at the right time. Most of the species stay farther of shore so it becomes a little difficult. However, yesterday, I did get pretty decent photos of a male and female Canvasback. Here's the Male ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

And, here's the female Canvasback .....

Thumbnail by linthicum

This a photo of the White Pelican. I took it about a week ago and the first one that I've ever seen. They were so far out that I couldn't identify them with the naked eye so the photo is rather mediocre. They are somewhat rare for this area and are quite large birds.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Male Ring-necked Ducks .....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Hopefully, I didn't post this earlier but here is a Ruddy Duck taken on 11-26-06.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Most of them are Ring-billed Gulls

Yep, except for #3, which is a Great Black-backed Gull (swimming) and a Herring Gull (flying)

Resin

Marlton, NJ

GREAT shots Linth !!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

What a lovely sight! I love your gull pics linth. Great shots of the Canvasback!
Cute little Ruddy too!
ty
:> Deb

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Here's my ring billed contribution.

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Pretty sure these are laughing gulls.
Linthi: Love your pics, # 3 and 6 are my favorites.

This message was edited Dec 29, 2006 11:28 PM

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Very nice pics from everyone. I had a couple of ducks around here..haven't seem them for awhile. Nice to see yours.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

I thought I was the only nut who photographed sea gulls all the time!!! I am trying so hard to get a good "soaring" picture - they cooperate beautifully, but I'm never quite quick enough. My new camera has the burst mode so I can just hold the button down and it will click pictures until the card fills up, but I've not quite mastered even that yet.

This picture is one I took from the ferry before it pulled out - some of the color that appears almost gold is the reflection of the pier.

Thumbnail by Murmur

Taken at the same time.

Linth, you have some incredible shots there!!!

Debin, you too!!!

Thumbnail by Murmur

One last one. These gulls hang around the ferry hoping for handouts - They swoop by and take food right out of peoples' hands.

This one just stood there staring at me, trying to will me to give him something I think!

This message was edited Dec 29, 2006 10:38 PM

Thumbnail by Murmur

Quoting:
Pretty sure these are laughing gulls

Yep!

Quoting:
This picture is one I took from the ferry before it pulled out

Glaucous-winged Gulls

Quoting:
This one just stood there staring at me, trying to will me to give him something I think!

This one's a Western Gull

Resin

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Murmur: I'm with you; still tryin' to get them in flight. :) What's your secret, Linth?
DebinSC

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I also have a Ring-billed contribution....he was wanting his morning coffee. We watched him play with the *empty* cardboard from Starbucks for a while before he took flight.....
What a character!

I hear ya Deb, hard to snap them in flight!

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx

Thank you all for your comments and additional photo postings.

DebinSC, you asked about my secret ..... there is no secret, just a lot of practice. Seagulls and Canada Geese are very willing subjects. You must first practice finding the "bird" in your viewfinder. I also usually pick sunny days because I can bump up the shutter speed to minimize all movement. Take a lot of photos. The luxury of a digital camera is that if you get one good one out of ten, that's okay. No one has to see the other nine. I have my camera set on autofocus, so I miss a lot of photos because the camera keeps trying to focus while the subject is moving. You win some and you lose some .....

I assume all of you have noticed that the new bird watching forum has been added.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/birdwatching/all/

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

This may sound silly but it's hard for me to imagine seagulls and Blue Herons and the like in cold and snow!! The sound of a laughing gull is the sound of home for me. Great pictures...

The Ruddy Duck...is that the one that's causing such problems in the UK?? It's a pretty little duck

Happy New Year!

Quoting:
The Ruddy Duck...is that the one that's causing such problems in the UK??

Yes, it is listed as an invasive alien over here (much like House Sparrow or Starling is in North America). The main problem is that it is closely related to the very rare and endangered White-headed Duck (Oxyura leucocephala) and interbreeds with it, so the White-headed Duck is in danger of being hybridised out of existence.

Resin

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Resin,

We're having the same problem here. Our Florida Mottled Ducks (Anas fulvigula fulvigula) are breeding with the non-native mallards.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.