Favorite Cottage Garden style magazines

Graham, WA(Zone 8a)

Do you have a favorite? I haven't seen one just for Cottage Gardening, but I may have missed it. Would love any feed back you may have.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

"Cottage Living" has an article here and there, but it's more for the cottage than the garden. I mainly have seen articles, not a publication dedicated to this. I learn more on DG anyway! Welcome to the forum, Belle!

Graham, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Brigidlily...from what I have seen so far, yes, lots of info. on DG and a good place to ask questions, right?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi BBB, Welcome to the group! I have no idea about the magazines, but there are some books you can get at your local library. They might not be at your branch, but if your system has an online catalog, you can use some keyword searches and find some nice books. The honest truth, though is tha hardy any of the pictures in the books make me salivate as much as the pictures here in the forum!

But yes, it's an EXCELLENT place to ask questions. The CG forum and DG both.

Suzy

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

And, as every good teacher ever told you, there are NO STUPID QUESTIONS!!!! I've felt embarrassed to ask a few that I've posted, but most of the time someone else chimes in with some form of "I want to know that, too" so... ask away!

Prophetstown, IL(Zone 5a)

Welcome to DG!

My (current) favorite garden magazine is The English Garden (http://www.theenglishgarden.co.uk/) - it often has cottage garden features - plus the photos are drool-worthy ;-D

I used to purchase several UK garden magazines (Garden World, BBC gardener) but they're so hard to find and fairly pricey $$$$

Catherine

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for that link -- looks like one I'd really love. It IS pretty pricey, but I'm thinking you get what you pay for, you know? I'm going to check and see if the local Barnes and Noble carries it, though. I have a horrible tendency to read a mag in full if I buy it separately, but if I subscribe, they just pile up. I MEAN to read them, but...

Whoa Catherine! That is awesome -- I can see I don't get out enough! LOL

Bridgidlily, Report back on the B&N findings will you? I don't really want a subscription, either. Magazines come at the most inconvenient times sometimes!

Suzy

Graham, WA(Zone 8a)

Jersey..I found this one in our county library system. I'm in line waiting to get a few of the issues...may put all of them on hold as I'm sure they will slowly flutter in.

Thanks for sharing the link.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Not really cottage gardens, but Garden Design is one of my favorites....

Graham, WA(Zone 8a)

Will look for that one, Pagan and see what it has to offer. Thanks for the info.
Happy New Year.

Cedar Hill, TX

I enjoy some of the Better Homes and Gardens publications. I don't subscribe, but pick them up while shopping. The last one I got was the Fall issue of "Country Gardens" and I have really enjoyed looking through that.

Another thing I have been doing for a while is buying used Cottage Garden books from Half.com and also the used section of Amazon.com. I've gotten some wonderful books for the price of a magazine off the newsrack. There was a thread about that earlier on this forum and I must have ordered half of the suggested books.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

there is a magazine called cottage gardening but it is one of those special things that comes out, probably by BHand G, periodically. i love country gardens too. i also hope this one that has nothing to do with gardening, takes off, called cottages and bungalows. I love them and they go so well with a cottage garden.

Happy New Year to you, B-3, and everyone else. May all your flowers bloom and your pests relent.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

lol

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Okay, I got the English Garden magazine at Barnes and Noble yesterday. It was $6.95, which I still think is mighty steep for a magazine, no matter how stiff and slick the pages are. (If you pay BN's $25 a year for your loyalty, which I refuse to do as you have to spend at least $250 there to make it worth it and that just ticks me off, I think you get it for a lot less, like less than $3.) A year's subscription (6 issues) is available for a little under $33. It is geared more toward the formal gardens and tourism, but it really is a beautiful magazine. It has some gardening advice and good articles. I might pick one up now and then, but I wouldn't list it in my favorites.

Just my opinion. As I say, it's beautiful.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I got the Early Spring edition of Garden Ideas & Outdoor Living today. It's a BHG special interest publication. Anyway, I started at the front cover and am almost halfway done. I liked it. Not everything is cottagey, but there are a number of articles that are. Great pictures too, I might add!

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

cottage is so homey, it is warm and makes me feel my grandma. My friend likes the newer styles, more stuffy to me. I think you can blend a lot of styles in cottage. It seems to me it is a taste of heaven.

" I think you can blend a lot of styles in cottage. It seems to me it is a taste of heaven..."

..Only if you put edibles in it! Don't eat the flowers!

Heh....

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, for SOME of the flowers, if you eat them you WILL get a taste of Heaven...

Which has to be a very large cottage garden in the sky!

Phoenix, AZ

Garden section of Better Homes and Gardens Feb issue has some very nice, pretty photos of cottage-style gardens.

Good point, Brigidlily - don't eat the Daturas or you'll be seeing stars!

And unicorns! Purple ones, with gold tails.... you get the picture...

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

But you can eat the Nasturtiums!

And the leaves, and the seeds.... I just don't care too much for the peppery taste, do you?

I got a BH&G Special Publication 'Garden Ideas and Outdoor Living'. ON the cover was a CG and the lead was 'The Frugal gardener - 20 Ways to Save Money' and 'Create a Cotage Garden for Color & Fragrance'.

Most of the magazine was of cactus/ SW gardens and gardening with children with Special Needs. It was as if the cover went on the wrong magazine to me.

There was some space on CGs, but it wasn't anything new or even as good as the pictures here on the forum.

Suzy

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, I love it. I have a small chiminea (sp?) in the south quadrant of my herb garden, and plan to have them flowing out of it, front and top. If they'll cooperate, of course! I'll grow peppers nearby, and some aloe in the next quadrant, just in case.

Edited to say the "I love it" was in reference to the peppery taste of nasturtiums. (simultaneous offerings)

This message was edited Jan 24, 2007 10:55 AM

That will be really nice! You're lucky; they look great spring and fall here, but Nasturtiums are hard to keep looking nice here when the dry hot summer weather comes.

Suzy

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

They get pretty leggy here, but I'm hoping to figure out how to keep them pretty. (This is my first spring in zone 8 and I'm looking forward to it.)

Leggy? You have them in full sun?

Flowing out of a chiminea sounds quite charming!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

This past summer was not a good one, mainly because I'd just moved in and keeping them in pots was not working but putting them in this excuse for soil was not an option. This year should be much better -- all that beautiful compost waiting for me... ummmm...

Phoenix, AZ

Illoquin,
very interesting. The Feb issue of B H & G I received in the mail has no southwest/cactus featured. My monthly issue has a nice photo pic on "Painting with Flowers" and other cottage garden "Looks". I wonder if there is a regional thing going on here. 'course if they give you the southwest/cactus issue and me the Cottage issue they are a little mixed up on their zones.

LOL! Aguane, wouldnt that be funny?

This isn't their regular issue, it's a "Special Interest Publication" -- the ones at the check out stand of placed like Home Depot. You're talking about the regular magazine.

Suzy

Phoenix, AZ

Thanks, Suzy
I missed that little detail, Special Interest!
Susie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.