Bought as Picotee..

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Yet again, a bulb I bought as Picotee has turned out not to be. I've been trying for years to get this one!

I've no idea what this one is.

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Mobile, AL

Oh, but it is PRETTY! When I get one that is different from what it is supposed to be, it always seems to look similar to Red Lion or Dazzler.

If my Picotees bloom this year, I'll be sure to tag one for you!

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Love that orchid-like flower! I'm getting into the dotted Hippis, and most of them have been NOIDs or mis-tags, for some strange reason.

Wonder if this one needs strong light to color up? Or if something in its storage period caused it to get all the rosy markings?

Keep this one marked so you can compare later flowerings.........

A definite keeper, anyway.

Robert.

Mobile, AL

My Aphrodite and Double Record both did the 'dot' thing last year, but since last year was the first year to have Picotee, I don't know if Picotee will do that or not. It seems that the more white the hippi is, the more variable it is in color especially the doubles. But last year was an unsual year because of the big pecan tree that fell on them. I remember pulling some out from underneath it, then as they chain sawed some more, being able to get to more of them, pulling them out and the process repeated itself for almost an entire day. I'm amazed that they survived, much less bloomed so well!

Gotta love those hippi's!

Whatever it is, Sue, it is beautiful and definitely a keeper. I do like it even better than Picotee with the exception that Picotee has bolder, darker edges.

How big is the bloom? Picotee is what I would consider a medium sized bloom. It's not nearly as big as the hybrids.

Yes I'm very pleased with this one, it's very pretty. It's about medium size I'd say. My 'Vera' turned out to be Apple Blossom and it's about the same size as that. Not as big as Aphrodite but not as small as Bianca.

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I looks a lot like the one I have called "Queen of Hearts" what do you think? It is the one on the far right in this picture, I have another picture too I will post below...

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

here it is from another view...on the left side of Jewel...

Thumbnail by JanetS
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Kniphofia, I bought Picotee and it did exactly the same thing. All in all it is still charming. When it blooms this spring I will try and remember to get a photo. Here's the one I am trying from seed this year.

H. breviflorum

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Janet it does look like your Queen of Hearts. I bought that one too this year so will be interested to see what that turns out like!

That Exotica is simply stunning! I can't wait to see mine 'in the flesh' :)

Sue

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Sue, some of mine were mislabeled, and several still have not bloomed, so I have been having some wonderful surprises when they do bloom! It will be interesting to see what I end up with compared to what I thought I was getting..LOL..but they have all been just beautiful!!! Exotica may be my favorite...of course Orange Sovereign has bloomed the longest and the flowers stay forever perfect!....and Dancing Queen is one that I can't see to get enough of....I love looking at that one!!! I have just been in "flower" heaven since Novemeber when I planted them!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Janet are you polinating your bulbs? If you set seed please allow me a few. I have some I have started from seed that are doing quite well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.