Squash for partial shade

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

I have a spot in my backyard that I am waiting to eventually (when it is financially feasible) plant columbines all along the fence. However while I am waiting I wanted to plant some squash. The spot is about twenty feet long and three feet wide. It is on the north side of my house. Are there any squashes that will live on two-three hours of sun during the summer and the rest of the day the shade of the house? It is the coolest place to be during summer at our house. I tried growing white pumpkins there last year to no avail. Any advice would be appreciated. I have already requested a seed catalog from Johnny's but I am still waiting to get it.

Thanks and Merry Christmas,

Chuck

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Chuck, I grew spaghetti squash in my partial shade garden which only gets about 4-5 hours of sunlight. Mostly because I didn't know any better... but, the squash plants actually got so big it shocked me. The leaves were beautiful and grew around 6 feet long. I was glad I didn't put them in my veggie beds when I saw how big they grew. They were around 110 days so I only got a few squash and I had to learn to hand pollinate them too (from the "seasoned gardeners" in this forum) because they weren't getting pollinated. The worst part was I didn't know to lay down hay underneath them, so they ended up rotted on the bottoms.

I am so not gonna let them beat me in 07... I already ordered more seeds and we are going to be eating them next fall.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I don't think squashes do very well in 2-3 hours of sun. They like all the sun they can get, though they can tolerate a small amount of shade. I think you would do well to find a better place for your squash. Nor do I put any hay under my squashes, but they are in almost full sun.

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, lafko06 and pajaritomt,

Thank you for the quick responses. I guess sometimes you just have to accept what nature has decreed and go on from there. Can you tell me of any veggies that I can plant that would tolerate that amount of shade? I am a vegetarian and homegrown veggies are always a wonderful experience.

Thanks again,

Chuck

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I am afraid I can't help you in shade grown veggies. Most articles tell you that veggies need at least 6 hours of sun per day. I haven't had good results from veggies that have less than that. Someone else might know of veggies that like shade, but I do not. Sorry

Olney Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

I've heard of lettuce being grown under shade cloth. To keep it from getting bitter, but would want to check with someone with a lot more experiance than me, to be sure.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Chuck, I've grown potatoes in partial shade before (4-5 hrs) and also lettuces and radish (I plant those together quite often.)

I just did a search and here is a list you might want to take a look at:
http://www.solutions.uiuc.edu/content.cfm?series=4&item=515&Parents=0%7C67

Happy Gardening!
Shoe

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Shoe. I did not have dream that so many veggies could be grown in shade.

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Shoe!! That gives me quite a few choices to make. I will see when the Johnny's seed catalog comes.

Thanks again,

Chuck

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yes, I was surprised at some of the things on that list, too.

And I'm sure there are other factors to consider as well, e.g., air temps and temperature fluctuations, condition of soil (of course!) and do the areas get a few hrs of morning sun (when temps are cooler) or a few hrs of afternoon sun (during the heat of the day). I wonder how altitude would also affect things?

I think it would be pretty safe though to definitely do lettuces, radish, arugula and many of the herbs they have listed. But maybe you (Chuck) can use that list and tell us for sure what did well for him. (Now I'm gonna go look around this place for some shady areas to plant in! :>)

Shoe

This message was edited Dec 23, 2006 2:01 PM

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Excellent, shoe - thanx!

Great thread!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

And off runs Sequee, looking for shady areas to plant in! *grin

Happy Growing!

Shoe.

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

I am definitely going to try some of those herbs and vegetables next Spring in the shade.

Thanks again, Shoe,

Chuck

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.