Hawk id, please.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Does anyone know what kind of hawk this is? We need a bird id file or a forum just for birds.

Thumbnail by betterbloom
Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

I`ll First that Motion.
Or should that be I`ll Second that Motion.
Either way I like the Idea .
Just look how much interest it has caused here.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Yes, because if you have a garden, you have birds. But now, how do we suggest one?

Send a D-Mail to Admin I guess.
If that don`t work.
Try holding your breath till you turn blue.
Someone might notice.

or contact JamesCO.
He has the gift of the Gab.
I`m right behind YOU.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Ok, but first lets see if anyone else is in favor of this. I will start a new topic asking for opinions. Now...back to this hawk, any ideas here ?

We don`t get this fella here in Australin.
Similar, but not the same.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Ah, okay I'll send a few your way. For some reason I have been seeing more than the normal this month.

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

You have a dark phase of a hawk which appears to belong to the buteo family. My best guess would be a Red Tailed Hawk because it would be most common and you are seeing more than usual numbers of Hawks. It could be a Rough Legged Hawk in the dark phase, but they would be much less common in your area. Here's a link to one on almost the same type of power pole:
http://fwp.mt.gov/fieldguide/detail_ABNKC19130.aspx
Are the other Hawks that you are seeing as dark as this one? Usually the breast and tail feathers are the easiest identification tool. In dark phase birds this is not an option.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Stelco, most of the hawks are of lighter color, this has been the darkest one. I gave up trying to identify by areas because we have been known to get birds from all areas. We've had a scissor-tailed flycatcher and a rose breasted grosbeak here, which are not common in this area. I don't think it was a red tailed hawk, but a rough legged is very possible.

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

Get a shot of one of the lighter birds and we might be able to narrow it down.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Here's one of the lighter hawks.

Thumbnail by betterbloom
Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

And another

Thumbnail by betterbloom
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

There's a "wildlife" forum under the "home talk" tab, in "Leisurely pursuits". Between that one and this one, there's alot of bird stuff. So, I'm thinking-a forum just for bird stuff would be pretty popular!

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

another

Thumbnail by betterbloom
Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Debin: Yes, the birds pictures seem to be scattered all over in different forums. I still don't know the difference between wildlife & gardening for wildlife ?

There is a Forum for trash & treasure.In DG.
Thats got nothing to do with Gardening?
So I think you have a strong case.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Yep, a bird forum would be nice. Bird files, I don't know about, we'd probably get a lot of mis-id'ed birds, since most of us can only guess what kinds we've seen (lol). I say we stick with just a bird forum.

Marlton, NJ

Just a guess but that last one might be a Falcon.
I agree that there would be a lot of misinformation in trying to ID some birds. Some of the smaller hawks are not easy to tell apart.

This message was edited Dec 24, 2006 4:21 PM

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

A Peregrine maybe? I didn't realize hawks were also considered falcons, until I looked in my book. Soooo confusing!

Marlton, NJ

What drives me crazy is seeing 5 different photos of the same type hawk and each one can look much different.
Its especially hard when they don't show the tail.
Heres a site that shows Hawk comparison shots. (hope the link works)
http://www.virtualbirder.com/cgi-bin/vbirder-boilerPlate/BKWHIF?CONFIG_ID=r03&CONFIG_FILE=/vbirder/HAWK/gallery/bkwheeler/Gallery.dat&BAND=mid

This message was edited Dec 24, 2006 7:27 PM

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

I get so frustrated after getting a good picture, download it, get my book out.................and still don't know. And yes, they should show the tail, the side, and back...that would help.

What you Guys need to do is build a cat walk.
So the birds can walk up and down To be photographed? lol

Marlton, NJ

BB,Check that link I added to my last post. Just a different view.

Marlton, NJ

My Arbor sort of serves as a cat walk for my Hawk friends. Heres a shot of what most believe is a juvenile Coopers Hawk.
I hope we can find out what type of hawk yours is; I'll be interested to hear the answer.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Melbourne, FL

Any Hawk experts who can tell me what kind this is?

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Another shot, neither is very good.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Marlton, NJ

Gardenpom, the link I posted shows the hawks from the same angle so you might be able to tell from there. :-)
It might be a Red Shouldered Hawk.

This message was edited Dec 24, 2006 7:51 PM

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Still no help, I only get pics of them sitting, not flying.
And to smarty pants ginger: (LOL) I need more than a cat walk, these hawks need name tags.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

BB, if you ask this on the SW forum you will get a probable ID, there are some AZ folks who really know their birds and you're geographically close.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Yes, like Magpied. But where is she tonight? Close....? Blythe is in the middle of nowhere.(LOL)

Melbourne, FL

I believe you are right Pelletory, sure looks like the Red-Shouldered Hawk. Thanks for the link.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

LOL We used to go to CA all the time and pass right thru Blythe, although you list your zone as 10b I believe you have a similar climate to us and I would guess similar wildlife. Distances mean very little in the same desert.

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

betterblom,

That little one is a falcon. It's an American Kestrel. I still have to work on the other.

pelletory,

That's a correct ID.

Hi there, betterbloom :) I infrequently check this forum so puh-leeeeze feel free to d-maiL me if you want to get my attention... lol

I know a lot about some birds, and some about a lot of birds... but in the grand scheme of things, I really don't know much at all... LOL If it's something I don't know, I will email the pics to my friend who is an expert birder, hawk watcher (w/Hawk Watch Int'l), raptor rehabilitator, and bird photographer. I just emailed to her the first pic in this thread and the two from Florida. Didn't we ID that other one on the telephone pole before? I could be confused. It happens. ;-)

Now, listen up... LOL Hawks are *not* considered falcons. With regard to raptors (formerly known as "birds of prey"), unless one is "into" birds, I think that the average person doesn't distinguish beyond hawks and owls, save perhaps a bald eagle in adult plumage. There are hawks, falcons, kites, eagles, and osprey--which often all get erroneously lumped together under "hawk". If you don't know what to call it, call it a raptor. :)

If I can confuse you further, I mean... if you'd like further explanation, just let me know :)
Loreen

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Hi magpied, how was your Christmas? Did you do the Christmas bird count ? I really would have, but as you can tell I can't id a bird for, well you know what. (lol)
I know that my cheapie book does differentiate between hawks,owls, etc.. I guess I never thought of them actually being different, and no you're not confusing me...yet.
I think the raptor we identified was the one by my woodpile. And, now I've found there are actually two different ones hanging around.
The photos above, well I can't even tell if it's the same kind of raptor, and just looks different from a different angle or what. I'm really going to have to start taking better pictures, to make it easier to id.
I went to Parker the other day, and I'm gonna have to go back soon. I was amazed at how many raptors where sitting on telephone poles between here and there. I should have stopped to take pics, but I was in a hurry to get there, (the slots were calling me) (lol).
Anyways, thanks for the help, and if you come up with any ideas of the pictures, please let me know.

Hebron, KY

Betterbloom,

I wanted to request a bird forum and/or a bird id file months ago. I agree we need one. We have fed the birds every day year round since Dec. 2000 and I love seeing them and hearing them sing, chatter and chirp. Love when the parent birds bring their 'babies' into the yard to feed.

I don't know what the hawk is that you posted.

Here's a female Red Tailed Hawk that is at the Suncoast Seabird Santuary that we visited when we were in FL in Jan., she is blind in one of her eyes and will always be there. She is kept in her own cage (there are other Hawks in the same cage together). The people there say she gets real excited on rat day. lol

Edited to say..... She gets to come out of her cage every day and sit on her perch, but tied (hooked) to it.

Marilyn

This message was edited Dec 28, 2006 12:10 PM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

This is a Red Tailed Hawk that is in a large cage with some other Hawks that we saw at the Suncoast Seabird Santuary also.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Here are some of his/her 'cage mates'.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

I'm just reporting in with the ID's for now... :)

First one appears to be dark morph red-tail. The Florida bird is a red-shouldered hawk.

Hebron, KY

This is a Great Heron at the SSS. He or she is just visiting now.

Thanks Magpied for the id, but I knew it, I just had to dash off before and didn't have time to list the birds in the second photo.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.