cute little fern

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Don't know much about it, tag says frosty fern. what are the little prongs coming out of the stems, are those roots, like it's going to need soil there soon? so it can spread.

Anybody know anything about this one. I love the white tips on the leaves.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Las Cruces, NM

Selaginella of some kind. Not a fern.

Patrick Alexander

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

What's a salaginella ? wonder why the tag said frosty fern.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Selaginella are often called ferns, just as the Asparagus ferns are, even though they aren't Ferns at all.
They 'sort of' grow like ferns and share the same cultural needs of some tropical ferns.

Las Cruces, NM

What Nan said. :-)

People call them mosses sometimes, too.

Patrick Alexander

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Did a google search on frosty fern and came up with this link:
http://www.hendriksgreenhouses.com/care.php

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

OH yes, you found it

cool

here it is guys

Selaginella Krausianna Variegatus

Princeton On, Canada

I was looking for information about a plant I bought, and I came across Daves Garden. This led me to kathy_ann. I was so happy to be able to identify my plant by the picture and description. Now my question is, as was kathy's, what are those prongs coming out of the stems? Also, do they have to be misted. Thanks, Marie.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

good question Marie, I dont thin k that got answered yet. not sure what those little thingy's are LOL

Princeton On, Canada

Thanks for replying kathy_ann. I read a post from someone about the plant she or he had was from Beamsville Ontario. Since I live about an hour away from there, I will try to find out which greenhouse it came from. Then we'll both know what those prongs are. By the way, how is your plant doing? I've only had my plant for a week. ty again. Marie

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Plant is doing well out in the greenhouse. no sign of stress at all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.