Big sweater, warm weather

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Romeo is a sweater! No, I don't mean the cashmere sweater.. I mean he sweats! A lot! A little warm up in the round pen, and his coat is wet. He isn't drippy-wet when we're done, but definitely has the winter-sweats more than Chewie. He's got a pretty thick coat, and I only own one blanket for him (it's got 150g I think.. turn-out style).

He's not breathing hard and his chest feels cool when I complete my ride. Am I missing something about properly cooling him out? There's still wet patches on his body when we're done, but they don't feel hot. Temperatures lately have been mid 70s during the day and 50-60s at night (stupid excuse for winter). We had two cold weather snaps a while back, and that's probably when most of the wintry coat came. I'm sure there are more wintery weather bursts coming, so I don't anticipate that coat shedding any time soon.

It's a poor excuse for "cold weather" here in South Texas, I know... but I have read & seen enough to know that "cold weather" combined with sweaty horses can cause illnesses..

What else can I do to keep "big sweats" from turning into "sick pony"?

This thread has 16 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!