Amaryllis help

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

I have never grown an amaryllis before. I bought one of those kits and it was doing great! Then I came home from work yesterday and one of the leaves (stock?) or whatever they are called was leaning clear over. I picked it up, let go and it just dropped back down. Any reason this would happen that you know of?
Thanks so much!
Sherry

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I can't answer your question, Sherry, but I can tell you my first amaryllis did exactly the same thing a few days ago. I propped the droopy leaf up on the Christmas tree. LOL

Thumbnail by McGlory
Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Sherrygirl~

Your foliage leaning the way it does to give the scape more room, in a sense, and you might need to give it some support at some point.

The leaves that emerge in winter tend to flop more than at other times due to too low light or too brief an exposure. Sometimes that can't be helped due to the way your windows face, obstructions in the way, and being so far north, your days will be a bit shorter than an amaryllis would prefer.

I put a rubber band or other tie around the tall floppy foliage and will also add a thin stake to help it stand upright. I leave it on there through spring (at least), and usually the foliage toughens up enough that it can *possibly* be removed later when I have my plants outdoors in better light and longer days. As long as it need it, I will supply support for it.

Try to place your plant in as much light as you can.

Robert.

This message was edited Dec 19, 2006 4:33 PM

Sherrygirl-

Did you mean that the stalk was leaning? Or the leaves? If the stalk (the thing with the flower) rotate it every other day or so while budding. They lean toward the light.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.