Will scotch broom survive winter?

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Do you think my scotch broom will survive the winter in a wooden barrel? Should I bury it? Pile leaves around it or what?
Thanks,
Adele

Diggerette~ Is this a trick question? ;0) It was very invasive when I lived in the PNW! You couldn't kill it no matter how many chemicals, pulling or flame throwers you used because of the seeds. If your plant set seed in the wooden barrel, you may very well have a nice thicket this Spring as well as seedlings nearby. Google scotch broom and you discover a world of interesting facts re: this plant.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It may not be as invasive in the eastern part of the country as it is out west, especially since I think you're slightly outside it's hardiness range. PF says it's only hardy to zone 6, you don't say what zone you're in but I'm guessing zone 5 and when you factor in also being in a container instead of in the ground it may not make it unless you take some steps to protect it.

According to the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, scotch broom is a category 3 ( species to watch) list plant and is found in the wilds of the metropolitan areas of New York City.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

In that case, I would leave it in the coldest part of the yard with no protection, and then if it still survives the winter get out the flamethrower!

Ecrane~ I like your sense of humor! ;0)

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks Garden6 and Ecrane3, for your advice. I'll make sure it doesn't survive the winter. That list from the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens was an eye opener.
Thanks again,
Adele

You are welcome! ;0)

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh my goodness. Someone actually wants to grow scotch broom???
As garden6 says, it is a huge problem here in the NW!!!
Besides it being so invasive, it causes lots of allergies to the pollen for people.
And I can't stand the smell of it. Guess have been around it way too much all my life, LOL
Carol

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Daisy,

Scotch broom does not produce air borne pollen. Take a look at the flower and you will see that it needs to be forced open, by bees, to get the pollen from flower to flower. Plants that have pollen that travels through the air does not have a flower scent. Plants use scent to attaract pollen carriers. Lastly, it is a plant that is the first to colonize an area, areas where few other plants will grow easily and it is a legume. In all the places broom grows it can only grow in distrubed/barren ground, usually the result of human activity. In Scotland it is an important part of the ecosystem, in the Pacific states (including CA) it means someone has trashed the area and native plants can't get a start. In the hills of CA (read San Francisco Bay Area) it will be replaced by the native oaks when given time. That is just my point of view. Your right it is a weed, but, a good weed all things considered.

Caladium humboldi-

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

This message was edited Dec 23, 2006 9:59 PM

This message was edited Dec 24, 2006 8:14 AM

This message was edited Dec 24, 2006 10:58 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.