Susan
=^..^=

Thumbnail by 9kittymom
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Putting that one on my list!!

Gotta love 'em!
One of my favorites! Enjoy!

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

This one is really stunning. Mine opened it's first flower today at work.

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Great that Walmart were selling this one this year!

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Gotta have it!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Is that also Exotic Star? It is beautiful...I need to check the Walmart and see if that one is till there!!!

Mobile, AL

OH!!!! Your Walmart is a lot nicer than mine!

Thanks for the gorgeous photos. I purchased one of these this year, and I can't wait to see it bloom. All of my purchases were late, so all of my new bulbs will bloom much later than yours.

In the meantime, I am enjoying the view!

Thanks, again! It's spectacular!

Here's our Exotic Star

Thumbnail by

Superb in every way! Perfection!

Mobile, AL

Finally, I see a bud tip starting to show! This bulb is HUGE, very clean and healthy. I purchased it from John Scheepers who lists it under the 'Royal Dutch Hybrids' category, yet they describe it as 'A glamorous, species-type flower'. It does have the appearance that perhaps Papillio is in the background somewhere.

I am curious as to whether anyone has been able to set a seed pod on this one and what pollen was used. The fact that it is such a huge bulb makes me think that it is tetraploid which would be fantastic because it could be used to cross with other tets. However, if Papillio is in the parentage, it could also make it triploid and most likely sterile.

Has anyone tried to pollenate this one or use its pollen?

TIA!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Can't wait to see it! I have no info on pollination...I have only tried it with a few of mine this year, keeping my fingers crossed....and I am truly ignorant when it comes to knowing what I am doing, except for rubbing the yellow stuff on the thingy that doesn't have any yellow stuff on it...LOL..sorry.

Mobile, AL

Sounds like we will be learning a lot together! I know a little more than that. Well, at least I have learned enough to know that there is a little more to it.

Most hybrids are easy, easy, easy, and then it is a matter of finding the space, time or a lot of friends to share the seeds with! The hybrids produce a LOT of seeds!!!!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

LOL, I am sure there is a lot more to it...it will be interesting to see if any of mine make seeds. I had no idea which ones to try with each other etc. so if I get seeds it will truly be luck! I will have to do more studying in time to try some of the later blooming ones I have...still a few to go, and maybe have some then that will take...

Mobile, AL

I understand about the yellow stuff on the white thingy! LAS! I am the world's worst at vocabulary and memorizing words and terms, so sometimes I have to look them up before talking about them. I have somehow learned to remember that the yellow stuff is pollen, but I get the other parts confused at times! ;>)

Unfortunately, I got a really late start at purchasing bulbs this year. They were also late arriving in the stores, so go figure... That is what has been so neat about watching all of yours bloom while mine are just now starting to form buds! The older ones won't start forming buds for another month or two, and am I ready or what?!?!?

Let us know which ones are blooming and perhaps some of us can let you know what has worked for us and what hasn't. For sure, the cybister types do not cross well with the large hybrids. You never know, though. You might be lucky.

Even with the hybrids, some are not fertile. Appleblossom forms beautiful seed pods only to abort in mid cycle. Most of the hybrids are easy, though. Oops! Appleblossom pollen does appear to work just fine.

If we all put our heads together and compare, we can learn LOTS from each other!

And THAT is what makes it so much fun...

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Very true! I actually do know the names of most of the "parts" too, but my poor overused brain won't let them out much anymore...LOL

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I am having no luck getting exotic star to set seed. I am saving it's pollen though. If anyone Knows some tricks or the proper way ,best time ect. to propagate please post. I have many more that are in bud. I didn't have any luck trying to set seed with Red Lion either. I must be doing something wrong.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

I think I may have a pregnant Exotic star. LOL It seems to be swelling up. We'll see.

I have a very pregnant White Christmas, really swelling up. yippee

Double Record did not take at all. I tried on all the very many blossoms and they all did not take. Oh well, this is just playin' for me anyway. I have never tried this before.

Susan
=^..^=

Oh....Exotic Star has another bloom pod to open soon. :-D

Mobile, AL

Susan,

I have never had the doubles produce pods for me. I must admit that I haven't worked that hard on them, primarily because it is so difficult and most of the time, impossible to find a stigma on them. I have used the pollen, but please don't ask if the pollen worked. I lost all the tags on the earlier crosses.

Every time Exotic Star pops up again, I have to run out to the patio and look at mine really closely. I definitely see the tip of the bud showing, but my goodness! That bulb is huge! Gotta be a tetraploid.... Maybe so! Maybe NOT! Sure hope that it is truly Exotic Star. Maybe so! Maybe NOT! Who knows nowadays!!?!?! Just so long as it is pretty...

Keep us informed as to how well the pregnancy goes. I have nice, firm, dark green pods on Santa Cruz. They are still small, yet so bright green and plump. It's been a month, so I still have hope. On a whim, the last Santa Cruz bloom was pollinated via Lima. The others were selfed...

We'll see! Thanks for keeping us updated!

LOL, that was my problem on this one. I CANNOT find a stigma. I thought I was just dumb. Thank you for saying that...

I am talking about Double Record not Exotic Star. I think I have a pregnant Exotic Star. whooo hooo

Susan
=^..^=

Mobile, AL

Oh, My Friend! That is because there isn't a normal stigma on most of the doubles! So, you see, you aren't dumb at all!

And, I knew immediately that you were talking about Double Record. You see, I am only a couple of years ahead of you in trying this. I scratched my head and looked dumb founded at these beauties for far too long. In the beginning, I focused on doubles, so I do understand.

Please, please, please, if you know or think you know what pollen you used on Exotic Star, please let me know. You can send a D-Mail if you wish. I hope that Melusine will also be blooming at the same time, so my dreams are to cross those. We will have to wait and see, though!

Exotic Star will self pollinate. You may also use Butterfly or any of the cybisters. :-)

Mobile, AL

Oh, goodie! I'll definetly self Exotic Star then AND try with cybister types.

Right now, I am patiently waiting for it to bloom.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I will keep trying have a few more buds. I tried self pollination and cross pollination with another exotic star but no seed.

Mobile, AL

From everything that I have read and been told, Exotic Star appears to be diploid. That doesn' t mean that you can't cross it with the bigger, newer Tets. It just means that you won't get as many viable seeds if you do. According to Hans-Werner, it has Papillio parentage, and it certainly has the appearance that this is the case.

It is not a species bulb, and it is the species that is sometimes known to have problems with self fertilization. I have been told by several that self pollination has not worked with their Exotic Stars, but I wouldn't rule it out until more have tried. Riverland, self pollination includes crosses with a separate bulb of the same variety or at least that is what I understand. Selfing doesn't have to be the same bloom, the same bulb, but it is the same variety.

BTW, cybisters are not the only diploids. There are many others, and those are the ones that I am trying to identify. I have reason to believe that Johnsonii is diploid, and I believe that Amputo and Pink Floyd is also. Most of my 'collection' is tetraploid, but I am trying to introduce more of the species and diploids for hybridization. Simply because they fascinate me!

I love trying to take the Tets back to the wild days of yore. Nothing pleases me more than to get a successful cross between the species bulbs and the tamed tigers. It's like a Sabra masquerading as Marilyn Monroe, or an Amazon stuffed into a birthday cake. Amaryllis gone wild...at a theatre near you. :-)

If we had a Hippeastrum forum, we could "sticky" a list of those kinds of things..........

TAWANDA!

Mobile, AL

Oh, what a grand idea! Sticky! I like that!

Gordo, I agree with the thrill of taking the 'Tets back to the wild days of yore' . Indeed, I plan to do that as I am running out of space for seedlings. BUT, there are many new hippeastrum growers that are trying to successfully produce seeds, and they get frustrated, thinking they are doing something wrong when they are not. So, the knowledge passed on should help their successes. Don't you think?

Once I have successfully created a lot of interesting diploid seedlings, then I will try to cross them with Tets. Ooooooh! I can hardly wait!

Robert! I feel brain dead at the moment... What is TAWANDA?

Perhaps it is time to go back to all those wonderful threads of the last two months and remind everyone where to go to 'vote' for a separate forum?!?!?

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I think I have swelling!!!! My red lion did this too with no seeds so I'm not going to count my chickens. Just one though. Is Sumatra a diploid? It has a bud making its way up now and would like to cross it with the pollen from exotic star. Where was Gordo able to purchase most of the species bulbs. At Telos? I think I prefer the species. They don't look as though they have had silicone.HeHe. I am finding that i prefer the species in most plants especially glads. Does anyone know if there is a species tulip that does not require cold to rebloom? I had heard that there were some.

Mobile, AL

Sumatra is possibly/prabably diploid. It looks like it would be, but looks don't always count.

If it were me, I'd defnitely give it a try with Exotic Star and Exotic Star on it.

Sticky, sticky, sticky! I agree with Robert!

Please visit Daves Garden forum to vote on a hippeastrum forum!

HSTeacher~

I read Gordo's 6:36 post about taking Tets back to the wild days, Amazons and by the time I read about amaryllises going wild in the theater, I could only think of the the line from the film "Fried Green Tomatoes".

Especially thinking of the shepherdess Amaryllis busting loose and taking her WILD POWER with a shout of TAWANDA!

Oh, Daddy, I'll never tend sheep again! EVER!

Just a small part the sideshow I refer to as my mind...... :-Z

Robert.

ed. "here" to "her"

This message was edited Jan 2, 2007 2:14 PM

Mobile, AL

Oh, Robert! Thanks for the sideshow!!!

TAWANDA!!!!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Dear Robert I do wish I could meet you face to face. A character you must be.

Whoo hoo, new Exotic Star blooms for me yesterday and today.

The first had a red light reflecting off of it so don't be deceived...LOL

Susan
=^..^=

Thumbnail by 9kittymom

I kind of think this is prettier than the first two, but it is the same bulb, another stalk of course.

Thumbnail by 9kittymom

This morning....open wide....

Thumbnail by 9kittymom

Second bloom opening other side
green reflections this time

Thumbnail by 9kittymom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.