Wooly thyme

Madison, AL

I saw in a magazine a plant - ground cover - called wooly thyme which apparently grows widely in the West. Does anyone know anything about this? It looks good on rocks, but I worry about it being invasive. We sure don't need any more kudzu type plants here in North Carolina/ Has anyone had experience with this ground cover?

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

It's a great ground cover here in northern California. Takes some foot traffic which releases the essential oils so the fragrance is very nice. Blooms spring through fall, is evergreen here and is not what I would consider invasive. That said, our climates are vastly different. We're dry and hot where I am, very Mediterranean, which it likes. I''m sure you were hoping to hear from some east coasters, but I wanted to tell you that it thrives here and is not invasive.

Madison, AL

Thanks for the quick answer. Yes, I will need to know if it can take humid as well as hot and then cold down to the teens for short periods in the winter. If not invasive, then I'm going to investigate further. I'm a bit tired of the standard recommended ground covers and am looking for something interesting.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I have wooly thyme and it isn't invasive. It grows at a good rate but nothing bad. I like the way it looks. I have it around a concrete bench and it is slowly going along to get in the pathway where I want it.
Carol

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've never heard of it being invasive anywhere so I think you're probably safe on that count. What might be bad for it is lots of summer rain, especially if you have poor drainage, but if you have good draining soil I think it's definitely worth trying. Heat shouldn't be a problem, and Plant Files says it's hardy to zone 6...you don't say what zone you're in but I'm guessing you're at least 6 if not 7 so it should be OK.

Madison, AL

We are in zone 7 (but a cold spot in that zone in winter - we call this area the tundra - must be the lay of the land - cold sinks). I think I'm going to give this stuff a try next summer if I can find a source for seeds. Thanks.

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

It grows fine here, a low groundcover. I like to plant it in areas where it will occasionally be brushed or stepped on, and it's very soft on the feet. Zone 6 is an underestimate of its hardiness. From my own experience it can handle at least zone 5b.

-Joe G.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.