creeping junipers

Northeast Harbor, ME

I am gardening on the coast in Maine. Right now, I'm looking for rock solid creeping junipers that need very little to no deadwooding and I'm wonndering if anyone can recommend a cultivar that fits the bill. The site is perfect for them (full sun w/ well drained soil).

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

That deadwooding is caused by fungal diseases, from not being able to dry properly. It sounds like your growing conditions are ideal. Make sure they're not watered by sprinklers over their foliage. This page has a list of resistant cultivars, but oddly, it does not mention Juniperus horizontalis 'Bar Harbor'. My brother grows it down here no problem...maybe the cultivar name is something they just picked out of the blue, I don't know.

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:y6AmGRg90dgJ:hgic.clemson.edu/PDF/HGIC2056.pdf+juniperus+horizontalis+dead+wood&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4

Northeast Harbor, ME

Thank you, claypa. I am familiar with Juniperus h. 'Bar Harbor'. In fact, Bar Harbor is the next town over from us. It performs very well up here too. And is ubiquitous as well. It might turn out that I go with it, nonetheless. It is, however, sort of like wanting an evergreen azalea with vivid purple flowers and foliage that turns gun metal green in the winter but refusing to go with the obvious choice, Rhododendron PJM, because it's too common. Since I posted this question, I have been thinking about using Microbiota for the purpose. It has the snob appeal that I'm looking for and won't be as hard on the skin while pruning. The query is still out there, though. Anyone with other thoughts?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.