Your most fragrant iris

Louisville, KY

I am sitting here thinking about sitting out next to the iris in May and not only appreciating their beauty but also their fragrance. Now it seems to me that all TBs are fragrant, but my question is, " Are some more fragrant than others?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Definitely! SUGAR BLUES can be smelled from quite a distance. It has an exceptionally strong, sweet fragrance. ENGLISH COTTAGE also has quite a strong and delicious fragrance, but not quite as strong as SB.

Laurie

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

What is the name of the oldie that smells like grape kool-aid?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I am so happy to hear about the fragrance of Sugar Blues! I bought it last year. I can't wait to smell it! Don't know what smells like grape kool-aid.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Grape Situation is supposed to smell like grape kool-aid. I don't have it, so don't know if it's true. I only know from what I've read.

Brewster, MA(Zone 6b)

Perhaps Iris Pallida?

Peachland B.C., BC(Zone 5a)

Go to the historic iris site, to photos and scrowl to i pallida.
This was given to me many years ago from a very elderly gentleman, and every one who has it calls it Grapy, as it smells exactly like grape kool-aid

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Huckleberry Fudge smells to me like chocolate!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I have some that smell like grape kool-aid also. It is white with purple edges if I remember correctly. Won't be blooming again til later in the year so a little hazy on that but it does smell like grape kool-aid. Have no name for it though.

Doylestown, PA(Zone 6b)

In Doylestown, Pennsylvania there are three irises that are quite unique in their fragrances. One is a historic called ALCAZAR which we call the "root beer iris", another is an Intermediate Bearded which blooms just before the tall ones, called BROADWAY BABY. My husband and I think it has a fragrance of "tuitty-fruitty". And, at Delaware Valley College, which is the garden that I maintain, there is the most fragrant RENOWN. It's sweet fragrance can be sensed long before you even get near it. Here's a photo of these three. ALCAZAR is bitone violet, BROADWAY BABY is bicolored yellow and red-white, and RENOWN is a cream white. All can be viewed at plant files iris cultivars.

Thumbnail by delvalcarol
Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Just got a Schreiner's catalog and they list this fragrant collection:

Copper Classic - peachy
Dark Passion - wild grapes
Hemstitched - sweet lilac
Immortality - surgary
Indigo Princess - orange blossoms
Mary Frances - lavender
New Moon - lemony
Pallida Variegata - fruity punch
Scented Bubbles - bubble bath
Thriller - spicy cherry
Vanity - cotton candy

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Do you ever vist Iris City Gardens of TN? The have several of those.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.