working with petroleum based wax HELP

Arvada, CO

Need some advise. I have seen a product I love and want to duplicate . I do know the maker was using petrolem based wax. I am trying to dip pine cones in colored/scented wax. I am learning that the temperature cannot be too hot for the wax to stick. I have let is cool to about 155 degrees but it comes out not quite right. 1st issue is that the wax it is not shiney when it cools, and it has an oily feel to it. Also the wax does not cover so well, it is too thick. I have tried other temperatures and I am very furstrated. This is the closest temp. 155 degrees to is sticking very well. I am looking for an even coverage that comes out shiney vs oily and the color and scent to be just as good. I know I have to experiment with the colors and scents but have to get the wax coverage correctly first. HELP am I using the wrong wax, wrong temp, or adding the color and scent at the wrong time? Or should I be using a combination of wax. I do not have the option of contacting the people where I saw this wonderful finished product so any help would be most APPRECIATED from people who know this industry. Also I see that the colors and scent come in liquid and sm block form. Is it better to use the sm block form? I think the colors are also oil based? Where is the best place to purchase all of these products?

This thread has 2 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!