shade container

Coeur D Alene, ID(Zone 5a)

I have a perennial garden that is mostly shady, and I would like to add some containers to give color when nothing is blooming. I live in a region that can get hot during the summer days (95), but almost always has somewhat cooler nights (50-60) midsummer, and pretty dry.
I am thinking: coleus, sweet potato vines, maybe false dracaena, or black magic colocasia or some caladiums. I haven't had much luck with coleus here yet - they just don't really grow, but stay healthy looking, and I love them. Does anyone have any other ideas? Do those sound like they can withstand dry air, hot days, and shade (and chilly nights)? Thanks for any other ideas!!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I think that color + shade = Impatiens They can take the heat or cool, usually. They don't like direct sun when it is hot, but, can take some if it is cool.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Have you seen the upright fuchsias - especially 'Gartenmeister Bonstedt'? It has burgundy-tinged very dark green foliage and coral colored tubular flowers. It can get fairly tall - 2 feet here. Also look at the houseplant section at the garden centers. I use asparagus fern for fillers in my shade pots and the small needlepoint ivies.
Also the new guinea impatiens - their foliage is sometimes more a factor than the flowers.
Tuberous begonias might also do well in your situation. In Pennsylvania they were still blooming this year into November when the nights were in the 40's. They were located on my concrete front porch - which got late afternoon sun all summer with temps in high 80's.

Coeur D Alene, ID(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the ideas!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.