Transplanting blueberries

Brookline, MA(Zone 6a)

My wife reminded me this afternoon that we (I) had planned to move the three blueberry bushes from the front of the house to the back. Given the warm weather so far this December I am curious about opinions for moving the bushes tomorrrow. I have had them for a couple of years and they have survived in the front of the house but haven't grown or yielded much. So, move tomorrow or wait until spring? I'll post this question in a couple of other spots and will share answers if anyone is interested.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

From everything I've read , you can plant until the ground is frozen.
Good luck,
Adele

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

It will be the temperature under the ground that matters. Should still be warm with this winter. That will give the roots a chance to settle & grow before the soil freezes under the surface. I wouldn't delay though. It could get cold quickly.

Northeast Harbor, ME

I've found that many ericaceous plants such as blueberries transplant a little better in very early spring, probably mid-March for you. It is, however, quite likely that you'll have fine success doing it now. Just make sure to put an inch of mulch around it when you're done.

Brookline, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks everyone for the advice. Bluberries don't have a taproot so tranplanting went smoothly. The plants are more spread out and look happier already. I'll be sure to mulch liberally before it gets cold.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.