Zone 5 planting question

Dowagiac, MI

A generous DGer just sent me some iris. We are unseasonably warm right now and should stay above freezing for the next 6 or 7 days. The ground is not frozen. Is it safe to go ahead and plant these right into the ground, or should I pot them up and keep them in the house until spring?
blpender

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Pot them and overwinter them in your house. That's your safest bet.

Laurie

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

They need time to root, four to six weeks. Laurie's idea is a good one.

Dowagiac, MI

Thank you for the advice. They are now in pots, under lights in the basement. Appreciate your input.
blpender

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I've overwintered late-arriving irises under lights in my basement several times. There are a few things to be aware of. First, aphids LOVE irises (particularly when indoors), so keep an eye out for them. They congregate in and around the leaf fan bases. Second, water your irises very sparingly. It's easy to rot bearded irises if you overwater. Let them dry out between waterings. Third, irises will grow thin, floppy foliage under lights. Don't let that bother you. The foliage will strengthen next year after the plants are put in-ground. Fourth, don't expect bloom next spring. It's not impossible, but it's unlikely.

Laurie

Dowagiac, MI

Thank you Laurie, and especially for the head's up on the aphids. I had the aphid curse last year on the brugs I kept in the basement, so I'll be watching everything like a hawk. These guys were pretty dried out when they came, so I watered them well, hope that wasn't a mistake. I will definitely let them dry out before rewatering them.
blpender

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Watering them well when you potted them shouldn't be a problem, assuming you used a light, quick-draining potting medium. You just want to make sure you keep their soil dry most of the time. Bearded rhizomes do NOT appreciate being damp for any significant period of time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.