Cutting grasses down to size

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Hi all,

I have a miscanthus near the waterfall of my pond that gets too tall and flops. Instead of removing it altogether, I was wondering if I can cut it back in late Spring, after it's up a few feet. I have done this successfully with tall perennials such as Joe Pye weed - the result is shorter plants that bloom a bit later but otherwise are fine. Can I expect the same with the miscanthus? Thanks and happy holidays!

Victor

Brewster, MA(Zone 7a)

I have lots of ornamental grasses including miscanthus I have my husband shave them right down to only 8 inches in march before new growth starts.makes for a nice full plant with no dead stems have a couple that are close 4 to 5 feet wide at base and 7 to 8 feet tall all are about 5 years old.Love my grasses really give the yard a lush tropical look.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Thanks. However, I mean an additional cut in late Spring, not the required yearly one done in late Winter.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I have done that with grasses that don't really flower that well. It might delay or reduce the flowering a lot otherwise I think.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.