Mold or fungus on top of compost

Del Mar, CA

I recently mixed about 4 inches of compost into the soil of a north-facing courtyard and planted baby tears, Australian violet and primroses. Everything is thriving, but there are several large patches of gray fuzzy mold or fungus growing on top of the compost. It doesn't seem to hurt the plants (yet). I live near the ocean in San Diego and had been watering the area daily to establish the plantings. I've withheld water for a few days now that the plants are established, but the fuzzy stuff hasn't diminished. Should I spray it with a fungicide or turn the soil?

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Hmmm. I wish I knew for sure. Mold is part and parcel of things composting, but not knowing what kind of mold or fungus it is... hmmm. I'd say the best solution for it is sunlight, but that's hardly in your control. Can you post a picture of it? Then maybe someone who knows what s/he is talking about can help. I wonder if spraying it down with diluted soap would help?

Del Mar, CA

Here's a picture of it.

Thumbnail by kcarneal
Del Mar, CA

I sprayed a Safer brand garden fungicide on it a few days ago with no effect whatsoever.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Mold and fungus are the products of breakdown that you want to make plants grow from your compost. They take the carbon and make it Nitrogen by the ingestion and utilization of the plant. NO FUNGUS OR BACTERIA IN A PILE OF COMPOST is bad. You are reaping the rewards of your effort.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Del Mar, CA

Thank you, Soferdig, for your response to my inquiry and for including a picture. Lots of people viewed this thread, but I've been biting my nails waiting for someone to post a reply. This is the first time I've added compost, and I can almost watch the plants grow on December 18.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

You are fortunate to have growth at such a date. We are watching only our house plants survive. Good luck.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.