potting mix w/Texas green sand

Brenham, TX(Zone 8b)

Need some help....I'm going to be mixing up some potting mix this weekend. I use 3 parts organic matter to 1 part perlite. I was advised to add Texas Green Sand (Medina) and soft rock phosphate. How much do I use?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

No one has answered?

I use this mix for miniature daffodils and if the "parts" you are talking about are 2 lb coffee cans (an example to give us both something to go by) I use 1/2 a yogurt cup of rock phos (P), 1/2-3/4 a yogurt cup of greensand (K) and also 1/2 cup of either cottonseed meal (N) or milorganite (N) for nitrogen. You might not need organic nitrogen - I need it for a slow and steady available release for the bulbs which are chemical-nitrogen sensitive. For my daffodils I would also use an additional part of coarse sand.

The yogurt cups are 6 oz. so I use about 3 oz. of everything, but I do not measure becuse it's not that big a deal. I mix it up in the wheelbarrow.

HTH,

Suzy

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I don't know the fancy stuff because I use the available. Then I make adjustments. You are more fortunate to have access to the stuff for $. Compost added to anything is better than any for the garden. Now depending on the plant you want to grow it may vary. The Posphate is for bloom and the green sand is for substance and nitrogen. I let the experts do the work for me. I buy potting soil and ammend.

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Soferdig - I believe greensand is generally for slow-release potassium and trace nutrients. The greensand I have doesn't have any nitrogen.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Yours is different than ours here. It has Alfalfa meal. My mistake.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Soferdig's right about the substance/ structure aspect, though. That's about the best thing to add to clay soil if you can get enough to make a difference, say if you live in New Jersey or Arkansas where Glauconite (greensand) occurs, and can get large quantities

I guess Texas too? and parts of England

This message was edited Dec 19, 2006 11:21 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.