Purple smoke bush?

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I was so excited when I moved here to find that I could grow smoke bush that I rushed right out and bought one for an absolutely ridiculous price and planted it.

That was about a month and a half ago.

It's now a bunch of leafless twigs. The branches aren't brittle, but I didn't think it was a deciduous plant. Does anyone else have any experience with this plant?

TIA

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Hi Tia

Awwwwwwwwwwww sweet that you got so excited about a bush!!

I have had one in my garden for a few years.......................... mine is also deciduous, so i wouldnt worry about it.............. I cut mine back in spring, and up it comes again!!!!!

Some varieties of cotinum are deciduous and some aren't, depends which one you get!!! But mine is the purple one................. so probably the same as you!

So DON'T WORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

LOL, Mark - if you thought that was cute, you should have seen me with the Ginko tree!

Thanks much for the info - I really didn't know, so that's hope.

BTW, TIA can mean "Thanks in advance" - my name is actually Sheryl, and thank *you*!

Whew.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Speaking of things you've put in and now are wondering if they're dead or just going dormant, I put in a weeping butterfly bush a month or so ago, and it's not looking any too happy. I'm wondering if the same thing applies. I guess there's nothing to do either way except wait until spring and either feed it or compost it then.

Please keep us updated on that one - I saw one advertised for the first time the other day - they're *very* pretty. Good luck!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Mornin' PC! Hope you are keeping warm!

BTW - Mom has smokebush (about 15'x15'x10') in upstate NY and it is deciduous ----

audrey

Hey Audrey, how's life? Actually, it's in the 60's here - bizarre after the snow we got. I just don't get it!

Thanks - I bet that is what's going on, then. Shew!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

60's - thats nice - we may hit 70 today - finally cool out there!

All is well here, coffee business going great, backyard finally done and I have a new cleaning lady...what more could I ask for? Oh yeah, health so I can enjoy all this!

Have a Wonderful Holiday!

Poor thing, feel better.

Congrats on the cleaning lady - Maybe I should ask for one for Christmas, lol.

(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL(Zone 9a)

Brigidlily-

Please LMK how your buddleia alternmifolia does. I've wanted one for the longest but thought they only grew at higher elevations.

Thanks,

Maggie
sealevel

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Maggie, I'm WAY higher than you are -- I'm at least seven feet above sea level. ;p

A neighbor's dog decided it looked like a chewable stick, so it's having to recover from that as well as the recent cold. It's been warm the last week or so, though, and I'm seeing some new growth (and hopefully it's not mold or something) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I will definitely report what goes on with it!

(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL(Zone 9a)

Many thanks,

Maggie

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I checked this morning as usual, and that new growth is definitely little leaves. It WANTS to grow -- we'll just see if my back yard will let it. It's such a gorgeous bush, and would be a wonderful backdrop to my little raised beds.

Woo hoo! It's springtime in Lumberton!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Yeah, for a while! Next week it could be summer or arctic; who knows? The only reliable bit of the weather here is -- once it's summer, IT'S SUMMER. HOT, HOT, HOT SUMMER, for about 7 - 8 months.

I'm just turning into a mother hen about the new trees. I need to relax and let Mother Nature be the mother hen!

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Here is mine in the summertime. Yes, it is deciduous; don't worry about it!

Thumbnail by passiflora_pink

Yeah - *that's* what I want mine to look like!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Is it spring? Or not? My pear trees from Arbor Day are budding, and I saw a swath of daffodils this morning (unfortunately not in MY yard) and I don't know whether to feed everything or not!!!

You know what will happen if you do - hard freezes, across the nation....

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Yeah -- it's like washing the quilts and sweaters and putting them away. You're guaranteed a freeze.

Well.... I'd really like some colder weather for a bit, so do you mind? LOL!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

At this point, all I'd have to do is take the electric blanket out from under the mattress pad. Don't want to start an ice age just yet.

Oh, sure - easy steps are fine!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.