Bugs!

Orlando, FL

So, i am just getting ready to set up my very first terrarium. I have done my research on setting up the tank and maintaining it so i think i am set there, but my husband asked me last night "Won't a terrarium with earth and humidity and plants attract bugs and those little knat flies?"

I know you are suppose to use sterile earth and make sure the plants are bug free when you set up the terriarium. Are bugs attracted to the humid environment and have any of you experienced a problem with bugs? If so, what do you do to prevent an infestation?

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

Bugs sometimes arrive in store bought soil as well as microbes and other soil born fungus etc. Baking your soil in your oven will help prevent any infestation of either.
I think the most common problem is fungus gnats that are attracted to the moist soil. If you are planning on setting up a tropical terrarium (vs. a dry arid terrarium) you may want to take a few measures to keep the fungus gnats away. Bacillus Thuringiensis will help with the larva stage of the gnats. There are many threads here on Dave's regarding fungus gnats and other soil foes that you can search out. Be sure to post photos when you get yours set up!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.