What flowers would you bring if you have to move?

Alpharetta, GA(Zone 7b)

We've been house shopping for a LONG time and still in the same house.. LOL. So I thought it would be fun to start thinking if I have to move what flowers I would dig up and move with me. Here is my list of 20 kinds!

Anemone Spetember Charm, Honorine Jobert
Bleeding Heart, Gold Heart
Brugsmansia Dr. Seuss
Campanula Korean Bellflower
Canna Bengal Tiger
Chrysanthemum Ryans Pink
Clematis Henry, Dr Ruple
Dahlia Allawy Candy, Chimicum Juilia, white dinnerplate, myrtles folly, several lost tagged
Daylilies most of them
Foxglove Strawberry
Garden Phlox Franz Schubert
Geranium 'Biokovo', Cransbil
Hibiscus Pink Disco Belle
Hydrangea pink lacecap lost tag
Laten Rose
Gloriosa lily, Oriental lilies, Trumpet Lilies all of them
Oxalis pink, purple, white
Painted Daisy
Peony Sarah Bernhardt , Bowl of Beauty
Rose Heritage, Tamora, Tiffinay, Cherry Parfait, Nicole

What's your favoriate flowers that you would move? Share your yours list too!

This message was edited Dec 13, 2006 7:28 PM

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

The brug and the bengal canna would run close but the brug would win out.

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

Since I am a newbie gardener, I don't have much in my garden to take if I moved except my Knock-out Roses. Planted five last year and they took off with little or no from help from me. Bloomed from spring until the hard frost we had recently. Definitely the "energizer bunny" of the garden.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I took some cuttings of rose of sharon, 3 different roses, and 2 brugmansias from my old house. I dug up a Japanese Maple, arundo donax variegata, kerria, a blue prostrate spruce, several bulbs, hosta 'Sum and Substance', a few ferns, a birch, plus any plants growing in pots outdoors. I let my daughter come over and dig up pretty much anything she wanted in the yard and she got more than me including daylilies, irises, daffodils, Virgina bluebells, Japanese cedars, dwarf conifers, cherry trees, hydrangeas, Japanese anemones, toad lilies, all the peonies, and many more that I can't even picture anymore.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I would so hate to move and leave my garden!
Crinums - unidentified and gorgeous!
Edgeworthia - hard to find and so fragrant
Variegated kerria
my hostas and peonies and native azalea
all the toads!

.... no, I'd need a tractor trailer - just can't move!

I just did a plant rescue and added a ton of plants in my new shade gardens (where I've spent the last year puling up the 35 year old ivy): ferns, huge lenten roses, long leaf azaleas, camellias, hydrangeas, many huge hostas and other beautiful plants...

No - no - I could not move! Just bury me in the back garden when I go!...
Sterling

Sterling,

Thanks for reminding me. I did dig up my clumps of crinum which is not an easy task - they do get huge and several of my hellebores. I hated leaving some of my trees behind - kousa dogwood, Japanese maples, variegated holly, acnistus (iochroma), variegated yucca, Kwanzan and Okame cherries, native azaleas, deutzia, viburnums, redbud 'Oklahoma', rhododendrons... It was time to leave though and it's always refreshing to try something new.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2010 7:20 AM

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Years ago - in the rec.garden newsgroup - there was a lady who was moving from one Texas city to another - planning to take most of her garden with her. I said - NO, you can't take 'in the ground' plants, shrubs, small trees! Those belong to the house! Well, she said it was in the contract - all listed - and she would not leave her beautiful garden behind. She said that 1) she wanted it and 2) she could not bear to see it turned into grass. I could understand the first but not the second and I said so... I maintained that nobody would rip out a beautiful garden for grass!

This became a huge thread with people from all over telling horror stories of houses with gardens systematically destroyed. The new people would move in - many times assuring the previous owner of their love of the gardens - and then have it all removed and replaced by grass. 100 year old roses gone in the blink of an eye. People talked about driving by their 'old place' to see - with horror - all their work, love and money just gone! Or watching a neighbor's garden that was so lovingly tended, disappear under the bulldozer and replaced by lawn.

I STILL do not understand this. But there were enough people telling the same stories from all over the USA - that I was forced to believe it. Everyone said the same - that people don't have time to tend a garden and they can get a lawn service and that they wanted a place for their children to play.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm not going anywhere ever!! We are putting in a huge effort to spiff up this older home of 36 years. It's my husbands childhood home and I have put so much blood sweat and tears into this home that I let my husband know that if I ever had to fight him for it, I'd get a really great laywer.. All kidding aside, everything is great with us!! We really do love this home, our garden and the local schools are wonderful.

My aunt told me how much our new french doors I'm having installed would add to the home value if we ever sold...If I did sell my home, french doors or not, my home would be leveled to the ground and all the garden with it. A new mansion or "battleship galactica" as I call them, would be put up in it's place since I have an acre lot and that's just what is happening around here... My feeling is that if a home is bigger than screaming "time to eat" distance.. it's too big.

Yes Sterling.. I see that all the time here and I already realize that my garden will not outlive me. When I'm 105, I'm going to try to plan my departure so that I can give away all my plants to folks that will love them.

It makes me giggle to see all these uppity homes going in while my veggies are growing in the front yard behind the white picket fence.. and they will stay there and nobody will have me more them to a more "respectable" location.

Susan

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Battleship Galactia! I love it. I asked a real estate person one time: where do the children play? These homes are huge, 5-6 bedrooms, there have to be children there? She said the children don't play outside anymore. Well my house is late 60s, on a cull-de-sac and the children DO play outside. They have wheeled things and swing sets and forts... these huge new houses have no play areas.

My plant rescue was for a house that has a large front and back - 4 houses coming down and probably 25 going up. The owner called the garden club and we dug for 4 days straight. I tell my son that if that happens to my house and I am too old to do anything, call the garden club and have them descend with shovels and pots! At least that way, someone gets to enjoy my beauties!

And Susan - maybe by the time you are 105, they will make your house an 'historical home' and preserve the house and gardens!!!

Sterling

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes Sterling, wishful thinking.. but if I keep planting at the pace I've been doing it.. it will become an arboretum by the time I get there!! :)

One of my wonderful neighbors has loads of grandchildren of all ages (5 grown children that live locally) that play outside and come to visit regularly. They went to the newer development section down at the end of our street and were playing around the neighborhood gazebo.... one of the women came out and told them to go home and get an adult to supervise them as it was liabilty for the neighborhood for them to be there... Can you imagine being told this when we were growing up?? Holy Cow.. My husband caught frogs and played in those woods as a child before those homes were built and it bothered him that ours would never have that opportunity.. not even sitting on the gazebo!!

Sterling...... we have had this discussion before, and here is the conclusion.. a woman around the corner bought the home of a LONG time gardener and let it sit forever.. I finally saw a tree guy doing work and asked him to please have the owner call me. She did and I asked if i could dig and she said that they had purchased in part due to the garden and please to not. I didn't. After month after month of seeing the garden decline, I longed and I drove in and saw the treasures and made secret plans in my head of how I would do it if I were to do it.. but I never did it. The entire lot including the garden was bulldozed and a battleship galactica is going up in it's place. Unbelievable. I should go take pictures and show you. Makes me really want to turn criminal and steal from abandoned gardens!!

ahhhhhhhhh okay, deep breath now hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Susan

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

That is heart breaking. I have a hard time believing things like that, even when they are in front of my eyes! I was so happy the lady called us before the bulldozers. I know I pulled at least 40 hostas - big as dinner plates - old long leaf azaleas, camellias, huge hellebores, 3-4' wide - about 30 amaryllis, gardenias, hydrangeas, ferns of all kinds, roses, sparkleberries and I don't know what all. All that would be lost under the bulldozers.

I do remember your telling about that house. That seems criminal! One of my long leaf azalea was Pride of Mobile and I've not seen that one for 30 years... Woof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm so glad to hear they got a great home :)

Susan

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

It's amazing how fast a garden can go to ruin. I watched it happen at my old house. I was supposed to be moving to NM and thus, didn't see a way to take my plants, so I sold the house to someone who 'loved the garden'. Well apparently she didn't love getting off her big butt and taking care of it because climbing roses were ripped out when their supports needed maintanence, garden beds were weedeated 2 feet deep into them because the grass was growing in there. Everything else died due to lack of water. And mind you it was all on soaker hoses. All she had to do was walk 3 feet out the back door and turn on the spigot. Trust me sterhill, it happens.

On the other hand an ugly yard can be transformed in a short while (depending on how big your wallet is). Avoid the ugly eyesores and seek out beautiful spots for inspiration. There are plenty out there.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes... it can go both ways, a garden can go to ruin in no time flat and I am a perfect example of how transformed a piece of property can become! I have had past residents tell neighbors to let me know how amazed they were at the changes.

Susan

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh yes, I'm on the other end of it now. I'm starting over with a yard that was once beautiful but had been neglected for the last 10 years. It's amazing how much trash there is in my yard! This morning it was an old garbage bag and a drink bottle. Last week it was pieces of linoleum, a tennis shoe and half a vcr tape! lol

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I think we've officially hijacked famerpickles thread!! Whoops!!

Angie, we have found toys in this yeard that my husband and his brother played with as children. For us it's fun to find something... but weird as well. I was digging and I found this huge anvil type object and neither one of us could figure out what it was or how it would have gotten there.

I composted starbucks coffee grounds lots years past and I didn't do a great job of removing all the little plastic lid thingys that were in them... I still find them in the garden :) Now the grounds are cleaner due to a change in machines and they bag the grounds by themselves.

Susan

Zebulon, GA(Zone 7b)

Just found this thread. The first thing I would take would be 4 milk and wine lilies from my childhood home. Next would be monarda from my aunt, my Joseph's Coat rose, blue and black salvia, dayliles, several roses, and Muhly grass.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.