Canna Tropicanna Gold And Bengal Tiger

Louisville, KY

The question was brought up so I thought I would clear it up. Tropicanna Gold is said to be a very slight mutation from Bengal Tiger. As you can imagine a difference would mean you could patient the plant. I have grown them both and truthfully I can rarely tell a difference. In some cases they are identical but here is a good photo showing the differences

This is Tropicanna Gold if you notice a yellow like ring around the petals.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

Here is bengal tiger as you can see no yellow around the petals just solid orange. Aparently this mutation is not a very big difference and many people do not even notice it. I grew them both out last season just for this reason to see the difference.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank you for taking the time to answer this question, and for that matter, the time to grow both cannas to find out for yourself. It does look from the pictures that the leaf markings are slightly different between the two, also. I have the Bengal Tiger & I didn't get Tropicanna Gold because I thought it was the same thing.

And of course, now I feel like I should get the Tropicanna Gold, too!

Thanks again

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

The central vein and variegation on Tropicanna Gold seems more prominant and defined than Bengal Tiger. Has that been typical of any you've seen?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.