Homemade masonry questions..

Great South Bay, Lon, NY(Zone 7a)

I've gotten tired of banging a freshly sharpened spade against buried rocks and such in my garden beds, so I'm slowly digging them out to 3'+, and removing anything over 1/4" diameter and hard.

My land was apparently reclaimed from salt marsh by piling up sand, followed by busted up rubble like roadbed, concrete, asphalt, bricks, clay drainage tiles, potato rocks and all sizes and shapes of gravel. The top layer is 1-2' of stuff dredged out of the bottom of the canal, which has become very nice sandy loam.

I'm gradually building up huge piles of this stuff, and I'm looking for something to do with it. For example, I could use nice blocks to outline garden beds, and to build raised beds.

Is it possible to use this rubble as coarse aggregate in some sort of masonry mix, and to mold said blocks?

What mixture of Portland, etc. would be appropriate for such purposes?

One more question...living on the edge of a bay, I have almost unlimited access to sand. I can dig it out of my yard, or swipe it from numerous sandbars and beaches. Will this scavanged sand work in concrete/hypertufa mixes?

This thread has 4 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!