Bamboo....

(Zone 4a)

I have a bamboo plant that I got over a year ago. It has 4 stems. I have never really been sure how to take care of it. It has always been in a glass see through container filled with just rocks and water. It hasn't really done too much. I mean it is green an all but is there anything else I should be doing??? I really like the look of this plant. Simple but nice.

Fayetteville, PA(Zone 6b)

Ok, your "Lucky Bamboo" is actually a Cordyline species (terminalis, IIRC), and you can find info on it in the Plant Files. Basically, it should have the same needs as any other tropical Cordyline.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

This guy who owns the local hardware store in my neighborhood, just came from Hong Kong 2 years ago.
He has your "bamboo plant" in his store and it almost touches the ceiling. I asked him for a clipping and he said, "no" and explained that it 's called a
Money Plant and when it reaches the ceiling, a million dollars will come to him. Good luck to him and maybe you should make a ceiling for the plant to touch?:)
Adele

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Don't forget to make the ceiling low enough to collect the million.

(Zone 4a)

Hahaha thanks digerette for the info and Dave you crack me up! I don't think my bamboo is the same as the Money Plant - mine will only grow 2-3 feet. That is what I read anyhow. Although I do need to change my plant cause I have 4 stems and I hear that is bad luck. 3 stems means happiness I believe. Okay time to get rid of one stalk and see how happy I can really become :)

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Dawn, I think it's an odd number for good luck (not just 3). Put one in a seperate container. Then you will have good luck twice.

PS You are going to have very low ceilings! Hope you are short!

(Zone 4a)

Hahaha no way Dave - this girl is 5 feet 9 inches tall - I need that high ceiling!

Thanks for the info on having an uneven number - I don't know anything about this stuff at all. I am not supersticious really ;-) but I will still take one stalk out - just in case LOL Ya never know right?

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I killed mine. I had one of those really pretty braided ones DH got me for an anniversary gift. even bought the liquid fertilizer they sold with it. I don't know what I did wrong, but it died. What does that say about luck?? I had it right in the center of the house..was trying to read up on feng shui.

oh, well. guess you can't depend on plants for all your luck. at least I haven't killed DH yet ;0) whatever I'm feeding him seems to work ok.

(Zone 4a)

Hahahaha yes let's hope you don't kill him LOL!!! At least you have better luck with men than bamboo.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.