Do you grow Skullcap where you live?

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I posted this elsewhere and as this is an herb, thought I would give it a shot here.
I am researching plants for the coming growing season. I found we have a wild variety of this growing here and later this past summer, I was given another one which I love. I recently ID'd this one as Scutellaria Javanica. It is on the enclosed back porch and still blooming. As I said, I do love it and would like to know if there are varieties which can overwinter outdoors in this zone... Any thoughts?

Thumbnail by podster
Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

None from me, but I'd love to hear your progress. I'd like to grow it and I'm somewhere south of you.

Hi Brigidlily ~ probably due south. I am always casting about for a new and different green challenge. If I am successful, I will save you some seeds... pod

Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

Hi Podster, I've grown Scullcap this year in my new herb garden. We get plenty of frost here (not sure what zone I'm in - Yorkshire UK) so will let you know if it gets through the winter.

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

I was looking for some herbs yesterday at a Lowes in my area. I saw some Scullcap, but I don't know what kind it was. I didn't even know what it was. I'll take a closer look at it next time. : )

I may never use it but it is a delightful blooming plant that fits in with the herbals and medicinals. I do know that the Scutellaria Javanica is a tender perennial and I don't think could take our cold.

Patbarr ~ I do have a wild one that blooms in late fall here. On a few nites in winter we see low 20's F ( about -5 C) They apparently come back from roots and a few seed but I think the birds enjoy the seeds too much. The photos of the wild skullcap weren't too great as my camera was throwing a fit!

Thumbnail by podster
Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

I grow several skullcaps here in the tropics, I have seeds off several others that I am trying, a lot off these seeds came from the netherlands and it is cold there and I do know that the skullcaps sets lots off seeds.

Scutellaria Tournefortii

Thumbnail by annette68

Very pretty photo! I love these plants and have amassed a selection of seeds to try. For some reason, they appeal to me.

I just recently started liking these plants. I broke a piece off of one, at an old abandon building I was driving by each day. It kept catching my eye. It has now rooted and I love it.

~Lucy

Thumbnail by BlueGlancer

Lucy ~ what an intense color! That is beautiful ~ I can see why it caught your attention! It should reseed and keep you loving it for years to come... pod

I sure hope so pod. The lil black spots on it was alittle freeze damage, but it's coming back out real good.

~Lucy

and is it still in bloom?

Yes, that picture was taken about 3 days ago. When it gets alittle bigger I will root some more, or try it from seeds.

~Lucy

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

I’ve been growing one for a long time and just love it, I’ve pushed it on a few people here, I don’t understand why everyone doesn’t grow it lol The humming birds just love it!

Baikal Skullcap- Scutellaria baicalensis is what the package says but can’t find a picture to match what it looks like. Z4-8 The leaves are thinner. I can save you some seeds this year if you want to try it. It should grow in your zone don’t you think? A cutting if I remember I’m really busy in the spring lol
Lea

Bless you LeBug ~ I do have some of those seeds too but thank you for the thought.
How easy is it to do a cutting? It sounds like it worked well for BlueGlancer...
I suspected the hummers would love it too. I feed them but am sure they would prefer more flowers. : ))

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

I laways grow mine from seed, I've never tried the cuttings, I'm not very good with cuttings no patients lol Probably would be easy for you.

...and I get more 'hinkey' about seeds. It is far easier to start with a whole plant isn't it!

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Seeds are easy to start, I just start mine out on the picnic table in the spring. I always get oodles of plants. How big do yours get do you grow them in pots? Mine are in the ground and they get about 3' around, a little flatter on top.

This message was edited Mar 19, 2007 10:32 AM

Hi Lea Bug ~ I havent made it thru a season with the Baikal yet. Just got the seeds earlier this year so it is a new one for me. I am planting seeds in large pots. That way I don't have to transplant them and it is easier to keep them moist in this climate. More of a controlled enviornment as I can move the pots to less or more sun, moisture & heat.

This Skullcap is a colder climate one and I saved some of the seed in case it doesn't like our heat. If it doesn't do well in summer I will try it during a cooler time of year.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Mine says to put in full sun but it gets shade from about 3 on and is very drought tolerant.
Tomorrow is the first day of spring! yesssss!!!

Amen to the first day of spring! Is your skullcap a perennial or do you reseed every year?

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

It's a perennial Z4-8, I think I should send you some seeds at the end of the summer :-) I don't know how they will do in Tx. but I very seldom water the garden they are in, I'm sure your area is a lot hotter.

How can I say no to such a kind offer. I will gladly take you up on it and may plant it in an afternoon shaded area. I find our bright light will compensate for not receiving full (HOT) sun.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

You will love it, I'll put a note in my tracker now if I remember to look at it lol Just kidding :-) It has the prettiest deep purple flowers you will like it.

How could you know purple is my favorite color! Thanks LeBug!

And when yours gets to blooming podster, .....I'll hit you up for a few seeds. LOL ; )

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey Lucy, I'll trade you some for your pink seeds, those are pretty blooms! I'd love to add these to my garden ;-)

Your very welcome podster, I want everyone to have some of these seeds, these are one of my favorite plants! Look at this they added another plant to the plantfiles and it has the leaves like the one I have, these flowers look like the one that Annette has but m flowers are deep purple:

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/120374/

Annette, I didn’t see your post until now, if you don’t have this skullcap I would be happy to send you some seeds too, you have been so generous to me :-) I’m going to grow my salvias this spring on the picnic table and just pray it’s not too late to see a bloom by the end of summer. I’m running out of room fast downstairs lol I hope you are still watching this! That Scutellaria Tournefortii sure is pretty does it have a tinge of purple in it?

O.K. Lebug, Mine is still blooming, so I will watch out for seeds.

I wonder how many kinds there are? Maybe I will just start a big skullcap garden, and collect them. LOL : )

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

I thought about a skull cap garden at one time but I think I just want to spread them around the garden, they are too pretty to keep in one place, I'm sold on them can you tell lol That pink is a great color! I don't have much pink in my gardens planting a few pinks this year and reds, I usually go for green I like foliage. I like the flowers too though those are just icing on the cake with the foliage for me :-)
Lea

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Podster, do you have anymore pictures of your plant the leaves look like they are pretty solid is that the word lol It really looks like a nice plant and your flowers have a little more white on them than mine do, I hope to have some pictures when mine bloom this year, I got a new camera just haven't had time to mess with it lol

I have another kind of skullcap that someone gave me, but I don't know what color it is yet. It's still being rooted.
I'll rush it along, every chance I get. : )

You DGrs stay up way too late for me! Sorry...

I do have a few different types of skullcap seed. There are over 300 varieties ~ imagine that. It is classified in the mint family. There is a white, a yellow as well as pinks, blues and purples. The first photo I posted is a small plant. It is in a hanging basket. This is a link to this plant in my DG journal. The info listed does not apply to this plant ... I have just been cutting n pasting but haven't taken time to sift thru it. http://davesgarden.com/journal/j/viewentry/124352/

This is the wild skullcap that is growing here http://davesgarden.com/journal/j/viewentry/124353/

These are some skullcap links that I have listed that are informative.

http://www.missouriplants.com/Blueopp/Scutellaria_lateriflora_page.html

http://davesgarden.com/journal/j/viewentry/124377/

http://www.hardyplants.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SP&Category_Code=SCR

There that should keep you busy reading for a little while... : )) pod

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

ok podster, I don't need to be seeing any more seeds! You are bad! This is one collection I would like to have and they grow in my zone as far as I could tell, I tried not to look at all of them at hardyplants lol 300 varieties are a lot! Yellow would be nice to have too, now you have me wanting to send for MORE seeds! The way one of those sites reads the white one could be purple in more sun so I guess you can grow these in more shade I was afraid I was really pushing it where I have mine at in part shade. It says to soak the seed but I never have, may take a little to germinate but all of the seeds germinate for me.

Whoa, that's alot of skullcaps. I'll be up late again tonight, reading.
Thanks for the links, pod. : )

You bet! It can be an addiction. I have picked up some variety of seeds and intend to have a variety to offer for next summer. Better yet, let me see how many of what I have to spare and I may spread them around. If I don't have luck growing them, maybe you girls will and we can share alike...

BlueGlancer Lucy, does this look like the one you rescued? Scroll down to the bottom of the page on this link http://www.solasgardens.com/page4.html

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

If this is the one Scutellaria longifolia I won't be able to grow it anyway it's z8-10 why did you have to find that podster lol You just broke my heart! The other pink one is prety to it's 7b-10, this is starting to get like salvias I can't grow a lot of them as perennials :( That's it I'm moving! lol

LeaBug, don't give it up... stretch the zone boundries by planting in full sun, and no mulch. I do the reverse planting in shade or high shade and mulch to keep the roots cooler.
Besides, I am thinking there are variations of the S. longifolia and yours may well be acclimated. You have already grown some haven't you?
I didn't know gardening was so difficult till I started reading what I couldn't do on DG! LOL We are more successful being ignorant.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

"We are more successful being ignorant", sometimes I think you are right there podster lol I grow things out of my zone all of the time but I'm running out of space by the road where the black top keeps it warm and I don't have full sun around my house I could try it and it may even reseed I just hate replanting all of the time no time for it!

Yes pod, that's it. : ) Thanks for finding it's name for me.

LeBug, grow it in a pot and bring it in when it gets cold. I would, it's that pretty. : )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.