The straight scoop on poop....

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Okay. I've determined that poop is the one pay-back I might get from my equine obsession that might have some positive effect on my gardening obsession. But I'm getting all sorts of feedback that makes it sound like it's gonna be far more hassle than I had anticipated.

I have been told:
-leave the poop in the pasture 'cause that's what feeds the next round of grass
-get the poop out of the pasture, because it increases the amount of parasites that your horse ingests.
-use feed-through wormer so that you don't have to worry about the amount of parasites your horse ingests
-don't use feed through wormer cause it'll kill the dung beetles & worms that break down the poop
-get the poop out of the pasture for fly control

What do you do and why? I thought I'd gather a good bit of it and compost the heck out of it for 60-90 days in order to get rid of the wormer. Mr. Grazier is questioning my use of closed composters (it's merely what I learned in Phoenix - open = dry.)

Any and all pasture and poop management advice is *so* welcome...

This thread has 22 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!