Hobo Spiders

Duvall, WA(Zone 8B)

I just discovered that Washington isn't without a potentially dangerous creepy crawler like I'd thought all these years.
Unfortunately, we have the Hobo spider who's bite can produce the same effects as the Violin spider. Worse yet after looking up pic's to try and identify it, they seem to be the same spider we have in LARGE numbers downstairs (cement floor). They've never bothered me (except for their looks) in the past 11 years but I'm pretty freaked out about being in such close proximity to them now! Despite this I really don't want to kill them or anything, I'd just like to disuade them from coming into the house. These guys are very shy and retiring - and QUICK (and pretty BIG)!!!! We just finished sheetrocking and will be doing the trim and carpet soon so this may help some (oh gosh I hope so!). Right now they hang out between the floor and the void under the sheetrock - once they don't have that little out-of-my-way spot I'm afraid they won't have much choice but to hang out in closer proximity to us. This is the month the males start looking for females and between now and October they can be seen in the house in large numbers. The males (with them big fang looking things out the front which are actually their genitals) are the ones with the potent venom.
HELP!!!!!! The fact that I've taken naps with my dogs (now deceased) on the floor (dog beds) down there against the wall (where the spiders like hanging out), have walked bare-foot without a second thought, grabbed up loads of clothes out of the hamper to launder (where there's almost always a spider) without a second thought...I'm having major second thoughts now! In fact my skin crawls every time I go down there.

Words of wisdom, thoughts, ideas, suggestions would be most appreciated on this subject!

Santa Barbara, CA

I am not familiar with that particular spider; we get Black Widows down here. The BWs are shy alright but tend to make their typical chaotic webs in dark spaces like stacks of firewood, old boxes and bags, cupboards... I also find them in the landscape when I'm gardening; and I garden a lot being it's my business! In thirty years I have been bitten once and not by a BW but a Daddy Long Legs.

When I have to go under the house where the area is loaded with webs and spiders, I use a long branch with shortened branchlets and tied-on grass clumps to sweep the webs out the way (along with the spiders). I give the spiders a few moments to consider escape, then I enter.

I would recommend a vacumn cleaner/shop vac and a bright light: the first to suck up spiders and webs, the second to scare off the spiders. Be sure to leave your vac outside for a while and surely open outside to clean.

Duvall, WA(Zone 8B)

Thanks for your help!

Sykesville, MD(Zone 7b)

Marshseed- my boys told me Daddy Long Legs can't bite a human... ? I was told it can't penetrate our skin...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.