Which hostas are you planning to add next season?

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Some people have already sent in orders for hostas, and others are thinking about it. Still others have wish lists that they'll be taking to local nurseries in the Spring, or waiting to see what will become available in a co-op. I thought that it would be fun to share what we're drooling over.

I'll start!

Aliyah's Grace
Bell Bottom Blues
Cherry Tart
Fire Opal
Foxfire Snake Eyes
Foxfire Rose Red
Foxfire X-philes
Hyuga Urajiro
Kifukurin Hyuga
Lakeside Beach Captain
Lakeside San Kao
Little Stiffy
Manzo
Mini Man
Rain Forest
Red Dragon
Scallion Pancakes
Silver Threads and Golden Needles
Sun Catcher
White Wall Tires

Now that I've actually written it down, I can see that I'm in trouble since I have neither space nor $$ to get them all. It looks like it's going to be a long winter.

Let's also share our experiences with what we see on each other's lists. Good and bad experiences can help us fine tune our wish lists.

Bettendorf, IA

Well this is the ongoing wish list I am keeping. When and if I actually add these remains to be seen LOL.

Abiqua Moonbeam
Alex Summers
Blue Seer
Blue Vision
Brenda's Beauty
Brim Cup
Cadillac
Cathedral
Cathedral Windows***
Dancing in the Rain
Eliator
Eskimo Pie
Eternal Flame
Fire Opal ***
Foxfire Snake Eye
Foxfire X-Philes
Frozen Margarita ***
Fried Bananas
Golden Sculpture
Hoosier Harmony
June
Lakeside Beach Captain***
Lakeside San Kao
Maya Swingtime
Michigan Sunshine***
Millenium
Mount Tom
Paul's Glory
Pineapple Upside Down
Queen of Islip
Red Dragon
Summer Breeze***
Tenryu
White Christmas
White Wall Tire***
Wylde Green Cream

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Which ones will I add next year? Oh man, I haven't a clue. I really need to sit down and re-evaluate what I already have and how they are laid out. But I'm sure I'll be adding some FoxFire co-op hostas.... :)

Diann

Avon, NY(Zone 5b)

My list changes or gets longer everytime I look at the catalogues. There are soooo many I want , but really need to be more practical this year. So I go back and forth as to which ones to actually pick. I'll have to cut this list back ,but it's just so difficult!!!!
Here are some of the ones on the latest list.
Maya Swingtime
Praying Hands
Silver Needles and Golden Threads
Christmas Pageant
Holy Mole
Dorset Blue
Hyugo Urajiro
Tatoo
Cherry Tart
Corksrew
Blueberry Tart
Daisy Doolittle
Dancing queen
Ginsu Knife

Marie,
The only one I have that is on your list is Lakeside Beach Captain,but I got that late in the season last year,so can't really give you an opinion. The others I may just have to add a few of those to my wish list lol...(it never ends does it lol)

Pegz,
I have several of the ones on your list, I'll comment on a few
Abigua Moonbeam...love this hosta, a good grower for me and always looks great
Cadilac...Love this one too, great color and texture, but may be a little slow
Eskimo Pie...a litte finicky for me, I ended up potting it up and it did much better. but a pretty hosta
Fried Bananas...nice hosta
Paul's Glory...Beautiful hosta, mine is 3-4 years old and really started to take off this year ,can't wait to see how it looks next spring
Pineapple Upsidedown Cake, one of my favorites
Summer Breeze another one that I really like. Love the coloring and contrast, really stands out

Bettendorf, IA

Thanks! All pretty good reviews. I actually forgot I added Paul's Glory as one of my very last one's last year so I have that to look forward to this spring. Another I am DYING for is War Paint. Anyone have that one??

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

everyone, nice lists, I'm working on it, Jim

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I want more Lakesides, plus hostas with the theme of food, patriotic, memories (music, cities, and stars), and minis.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

My wish list has 170 hostas on it right now! So I won't post that or it will be a scrolling nightmare. It's a working list that changes all the time and my rule is not to buy one that isn't on the list. Well, a girl can try can't she...

marie, I don't have any that are on your list, but five of them are on my wish list too. Most I haven't heard of and...don't make me look them up! lol

pegz, I have a handful that are on your list that I can comment on:
Brim Cup - cute, but benefits from slug protection
Fried Bananas - love the huge fragrant flowers, fast grower
June - a classic
Paul's Glory - another classic
Summer Breeze - very striking
Wylde Green Cream - you'll like this one, good substance too

Elaine,
Praying Hands - kinda quirky but nice
Tattoo - supposed to be temperamental up north; but so far so good 2nd year

Sandy

Bettendorf, IA

Thanks Sandy!! I am going to have to copy all these notes to my journal. I am the same about it being a workin glist and my plan NOT to be buying something that isn't on the list. Then someone goes and does a pesky co-op or 2 (or 3 LOL ) with ALL those pretty little hostas I haven't yet explored and it all goes out the window LOL. I am hoping that since this will be year 2 and I won't be in such a desperate need to fill space I will more easily hold off. (yeah right...what is that they say about famous last words...???)

pegzhere, the Hostaholic meeting is today, if you want to attend. just kidding HA! Ha!, Jim

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Well Like I have said before. your all energizing yourselves to spend a lot of money. thats fine if you have it. I could spend more thsn what I am planning to but. Like I say I want hosta that are different I will not buy one that strongly resembles something I have allready. I hope to get started laying fertalizer around mine next week. Would have really been nice to have gotten all the turkey compost around them before this big sleet and snow storm we had.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Well, I got my Naylor order in last night. :-( but :-) too, LOL
If you order $200 worth before December 15, you get 10% plus free shipping. It isn't hard to get $200 worth, in fact I was up to $333 before I knew it so I had to take some off. I didn't have to I guess, but I did.

I got some new and unusual ones plus some I had been wanting and a new one for my daughter Jen.

I ordered:
Sunlight Child
Silver Threads and Golden Needles
Ops
Magic Fire
Jen
Daisy Doolittle
Crepe Soul
Boyz Toy
Blueberry Tart
Aliyah's Grace
Academy Verdant Verge

Had that good old Hacksaw on my list, but it was one of the ones I took off. I decided it was just too expensive still.

Since I am already out of room, I have no idea what I am going to do with these and you know I will order from Foxfire's co-op too.

Oz, please don't give me a hard time about ordering these. You know I couldn't help it. ROFLOL

Susan
=^..^=

10% off plus free shipping at Naylor Creek before 12/15! Now that's incentive. How come I didn't notice that little detail in their catalog? Guess what I'll be doing tonight....a little light reading and list making.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

It is also not noted on the online catalog, so you need to send an email or something to be sure you get the discount.

I used the call with credit card option and he got right back to me with the amount.

You know you NEED some of these......ROFLOL

Susan
=^..^=

Bettendorf, IA

Oz it isn't being energized to spend the money - at least for me. I have a HUGE hole to fill. If I waited and bought a handful a year I might die before my spot gets filled :) Heck I might anyway so may as well load R up LOL.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Oz, I have a wish list but would like to try and trade for a few instead of buying first. I know I will order from Foxfire again. I was really pleased with my first order. LMK if anyone would like to trade a few in the Spring.
I also sell hybrid daylilies on the Lily Auction, so if anyone needs a few of those, I have plenty.
Teresa in KY

I know nothing about Foxfire other than what i see on here. I know they are way up in wisc and I sometimes worry about hosta coming from north to south b ecause of the climate change. Everyone to there own thing. I have more room and could put in more. I have very big 100 ft high oaks and ash on one side of my yard that provide a lot of shade there is stone walk I put in there that would be nice with hosta on both sides of it. but I am close to 67 yrs old and I have about all I can take care of now. And like I mentioned one time before at my age I am a realist and I know that our garden could be a negative factor when something happens to me and my wife needs to sell. I think for the most part I will be into minis.

I phoned in my order to NC to get in before the discount goes off. it's only about 1/3 of what I plan on buying for the year. Terpsichore, Spring Break, Ginsu Knife, Cliffords Stingray Blueberry Tart, Cherry Tart, Choo Choo Train, Dragon Fire, Pewterware. they're not shipping until March, so I have planty of time to add on to my order I just won't get the double discount. but it's Xmas and my dear 8 year old Granddaughter must have an Ipod. I think of what I got when I was 8, these are different times. good luck on your orders everyone. choose well. Jim

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

My order from NC consisted of;
'Cherry Tart'
'Maya Tritone'
'Little Jay'

I'll have to see what Steve comes up with for the co-op list. I know I'll prolly be ordering plenty from him,,,LOL

GG, those are the cream of the crop from Naylor. I'll be ordering them in Jan. if there are some left. Alttara has a lot of nice ones this year. I did order Terp sich o ree on my Dec. order, I have several simular already ( Dragon Fire, Harry Van Da Laar, Katsuragawa Beni, ) but it has a nice sheen,and twist to the leaf that I like, Jim

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Jim,
I'm one of those with champagne taste and a beer budget, make that a water budget,,,lol,,,,however, I just couldn't pass up the free shipping. And, who knows, they may send a large enough clump that I can sell a bit to support my habit,,,LOL

There are more that I passed up and am hoping to get them this year yet the 'Valley Chute the Chute' and Purple Boots or something, look interesting as do a few more. I had about 8 on my list of Needs,,,LOL

I'm not one that has patience to wait until the price comes down next year, I want it now. Foolish, but true, what can I say,,lol

Forked River, NJ(Zone 6b)

I'll just add some of the tc's I've ordered: Amazing Grace, Chop Sticks, Christmas Lights, Drawn Butter, Fire and Brimstone, Hawkeye, L/S Mom, L/S a GoGo, L/S Cranberry Relish, L/S Cricket, L/S Breaking News, L/S Hoola Hoop, L/S Cupcake, L/S Fruit Loops, L/S Little Tuft, L/S Meadow Ice, L/S Rocky Top, L/S Beach Captain, Mary Marie Ann, Nifty Fifty, Noah's Rainbow, One Lota, Peter the Rock, Sea Prize, Twenty Four Carat Gold, Tootie Mae, Silver Threads and Golden Needles, My Child Insook,Spinach Souffle', Sun Worshipper, Ocean Isle, Baby Blue Eyes, Barbara May, Americana, Eye Declare, Rootin Tootin, Hyuga Urajiro,Teeny-Weeny Bikini, Rainbow's End, Hollywood Lights Sweet Innocence, Hanky Panky, Singing In The Rain, Blue Baron, Color a la Mode, Designer Genes, Eye Candy, Hakumo, Harriette Ward, Linda Sue, Stargate, Sutter's Mill, Worldly Treasure, Lollapalooza
John

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

Oh My, I love hostaman's list and I would like 1 (or 2) of each!!!!!!!!

sue

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

John,

Nice list. Where is your source? LOL

I am just loving these lists. I've had to make some additions to my own.

Forked River, NJ(Zone 6b)

GG. I order from many including: Q&Z, Shady Oaks, Winterberry Farms, Silvers-Elbert,Walters Gardens, Green Hill Farms & Naylor Creek for the TC's, Then for my divisions; Van Bloem Gardens, Northwest Bulb, Kuks Forest, and White Oaks, That keeps me a little busy potting and Ebaying.
John

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

John,
It sounds like it. I do the same thing,,,,LOL Love it!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

fROM THE CO-OP
Dawn's Early Light
*May
*American Icon
*Blue Umbrellas
*Fire Island
*Liberty
*Masquerade
*Mount Tom
*Sunshine Glory
*Nancy
*Queen of the Seas
*'Sweet Innocence'
*Pewterware
*Country Mouse
*Ghost Spirit
*Grand Slam
*Prairie Sky
*White Dove
*Blue Mammoth
*Blue Jay
*Komodo Dragon

OREDERED FROM HALLSONS
TREX
'Winter Lightning'

CHECKING ON THESE
*ask availability on the ones with *
Aurora Borealis
*Aztec Treasure
*Band of Gold
Blue Moon
*Blue Seer
*Choo Choo Train
Coquette
Dew Drop
*Fair Maiden
*Hoosier Harmony
Little Sun Spot
*On Stage
*Peace
*Sharmon
*Carnival
*Fan Dance

OH YEAH- i ordered some last fall-I remember Love Pat was one
but forgot the others lol

SLOW DOWN GIRL!! IM A DAYLILY GIRL! This is a tad crazy for me!
still have to see what ones bleek will have this yr! :)

This message was edited Dec 31, 2006 12:58 PM

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

LOL,,,I do believe we're gettin' another convert. Yipppppeeeeee

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Dori, you converted over in BIG way! You have passed me up with flying colors! I think a true gardener should have many interests :)

From another Daylily Addict

So many hostas.....so little land, time, money.....etc.

Beautiful list. Not a clinker in the bunch that I know of. However, there are a few that I'm just going to have to look up.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I'm not looking anything up this year,,,LOL

Yeah right.........

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Its all Jody and ruby42(sue)fault-they had to give me some really cool ones to start with and then well...
Last summer my older sis came up and said-man you really added the hostas! She had lots more than i did a yr ago! ahhhhhhh

Marie-tell me what ones on that waiting list are really good ones-i have no idea just looked at the pics and said -like that one, dh likes the blue ones!
need a new bed i think!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I need trees! Or a shade canopy, I guess I will stick to mostly dls and iris. I do like the big/blue hosta the best. Is Great Expections just a slow grower? Tatoo didn't do much this year either. :(

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

LOL @ Marie, You know me so well.

blue,
It takes a couple of years to see a growth spurt.

notmartha,
that's right, when all else fails blame your friends,,,,that's what I do. In fact Marie took me greenhousing over be her neck of the woods and made me spend a ton of cash

Enabler.....Enabler.....

Kelly, and whose I idea was it in the first place to go greenhousing together? Hmmmmmm? Don't forget, we did it more than once. We started earlier in the year in the cold, drizzly weather at Klinger's for their sale. I still didn't get you to Halfen's to check out their hostas. And, there were a couple of greenhouses that we missed. I do know that there is one that I won't be giving too much business to in the future. Much too expensive compared to other places.

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Happy New Year All!
I'm sooo behind the rest of you. I haven't given much thought to what hostas I want for 2007 and though I've received a hosta catalog recently, I haven't even looked at it much. I need to find a quiet moment to have a good sit down and see what makes my top 20. And that will be my limit hopefully, lol. So far though, I do want Orange Marmalade and Little Sunspot.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I'm with you Erynne. Am hoping for some quiet time in january to do just that.

Ann

I am allready in the garden. I have about 3 seperate hosta trying to emerge. I am thankful for the these past two cold days and the very cold rain we had yeasterday afternoon and last night. Sagae was the worst. There must have been ten white tips sticking out of the ground about 3/4 of a inch. We have had a lot of warrm weather but I think more so than that it was the couple of warm rains we had. I am going to mix up a special mix of ground up leaves and compost just to have to cover the crowns with if the others persist. I spend sometime every day testing the fertility of the ground around my hosta. I know I am pushing the envelope this year with the turkey compost I brought. I want to monitor the stuff I put in rings and check on how it is progressing into the ground. When I first put the rings around the hosta the nito sent the needle on the fertility scale about thru the side of the tester. So I know it was very very hot. We have had three good rains on it now and it has dropped down almost into a acceptable range. As soon as it cools more I will begin spading it in around the hosta about 4-6 inches deep. I was not fully satisfied with the results I got last year from pure top composting. When I left it on top solely last year and let it enter the soil by itself. I feel it disburst over a lot more area than I intended for it too. I think if I turn it in about 4 to 6 inches just after the nitro gets to a acceptable level it will concentrated it more where I want it to be.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.