spring summer color for dry shade

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Looking for suggestions please! I have an area that is covered with ivy (vigorous but under control). It gets morning sun but dappled shade off and on the rest of the day. A bit more sun in spring than summer but not much. I've had luck with some patches of Lousiana iris and Brazilian petunias (I do alot of watering), but I'd like to put in a few drifts of bulbs or perennials that will show some color in spring and summer. Hoping for plants that don't get too tall - perhaps under 12"? The photo is mid day in June. Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

..and this is 8AM.

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

DebinSC, wonderful place you have!

I suppose that the trees are deciduous and usely the soil is more humid in spring than later in the year when the trees have their foliage back and drink tons of water.
There are parts in my little garden that have similar conditions and I have had success with the following bulbs and plants that give colour in spring:
Snowdrops (Galanthus nivalis, Galanthus ikarea, Galanthus Elwessi)
Ipheion uniflorum (10 cm)
Scilla bifolia (from dark purple to gentian-blue) (around 8 cm tall)
Scilla bifolia 'Rosea'
Anemones nemerosa (the wood anemones)
Helleborus lividus (smaller than other hellebores)
Salamon's seal
Hepatica nobilis (around 10 cm)
Epimediums
Oxalis acetosella
Sweet wood ruff (Galium odoratum)
Polygonatum multiflorum
Brunnera macrophylla

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

bonitin:
Yes, the trees to the south and east are mainly deciduous and to the west are mainly pines, so no afternoon sun, ever. Pines seem to be thirsty year round, but I've been able to compensate.
Thanks for such a nice long list of plants!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

phlox divaricata
wood poppies
corydalis (fern leaf)
corydalis (lutea)
trillium
cimicifuga
heucheras (many)
euphorbia robbiae
dicentras
hostas
chelone
geranium macrorrhizum, phaeum, pratense, maculatum
va. blue bells
rodgersia
tiarella
tricyrtis
and don't forget the ferns

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Ooooh! Wonderful long list! Thanks so much. Researching immediately. :)
Deb

Raleigh, NC

I would add rain lillies to the list--they only bloom after rain, but its great fun waiting for them.
Celandine poppies are native woodland species that have beautiful yellow flowers in spring/early summer, and they reseed, which is nice. My experience is they are easy to grow.
Oakleaf Hydrangea would give you both beautiful summer flowers and lovely fall foliage. Also easy to grow.
Last, but not least, Astilbe would give you a wide choice of colors, though it does need some water if your soil dries out. Again, easy to grow, gorgeous blooms in summer.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Begonia grandis would do great, and brings lots of color. I don't know why it isn't more broadly used. It will spread making wonderful pink beds.

Most of the photos in Plant Files don't do it justice, but one comes close: http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/33087/. I have a long bank of it (smothering other plants) that is really lovely all August. It does fine in the shade.

This message was edited Feb 8, 2007 1:16 PM

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

YoteD: I ordered some rain lilies, thanks! Oakleaf hydrangea hadn't occurred to me and it should have. :)
I have tried astilbe in this area and not had much luck. Shrivels up mid summer no matter how much water it gets...I think the ivy and tree roots are just too greedy.

Happy: Begonia grandis. I never knew they were shade plants til I saw them in a catalog. I actually ordered some for another spot, but on your recommendation, I think I'll split 'em up and try a couple in this spot....see what happens.

Also trying several of Levyl.'s suggestions, too.

(Come on spring!)

Thanks for the help!
Deb

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Heuchera and tiarella not only have flowers, but the newer cultivars have great leaf color as well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.