My Meyer Lemon & the kitties, etc.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

My little tree arrived today from Four Winds Growers in CA. I am so excited... Anyone have any words of wisdom for a lemon-tree grower in NYC ? Let's hope the cats stay out of it (I inserted a few strategically placed wooden skewers in it).

This message was edited Dec 7, 2006 7:09 PM

Thumbnail by brooklynbird
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Very nice brooklyn! I'm no help again though.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

thanks for the comment even so Dave47. So what DO you look like?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Due to my employment, it is a closely guarded secret. Don't ever believe what Bigcityal says, he works for the other side.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

brooklyn ~ My brother grows grapefuit trees, banana trees, and even a pinnapple tree that produced fruit in the middle of Jan. here in Maine. He bought the pinnapple at the grocery store, cut the top off and rooted it in water, then planted it in the dirt. Then we watched it grow until the fruit appeared, then ate it!! LOL He puts all his trees out in the summer and brings them in around Sept. He watches the temps closely and brings them inside as soon as it's too cool. I'll ask him if he has any tips for you next time I talk to him. Good luck!

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

MY cat (the evil one) would be sharpening his claws on the trunk and sitting in the top branches by now. I had to bring my croton to work because he was so mean to it. Hope your kitties are better behaved!

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

thanks Yankeecat. They're still young (just one year old), and all they really want to do is go outside. Too cold today. Monte shown pleading at door with Mick backing him up.

This message was edited Dec 8, 2006 3:33 PM

Thumbnail by brooklynbird
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

brooklyn, I'm no help either, but I really want a Meyer lemon. so you'll have to keep us posted on how yours does. it's my understanding that they need a lot of light and even moisture. how big is your tree? it looks like a really nice one.

gram

(Zone 4a)

Awww what a nice little tree! If only I had green thumbs like you guys. Most of my plants are fake other than the bamboo and african violet I have in my window. I actually killed a spider plant last year - sad eh? LOL WHO has ever killed a spider plant before?? No one but me I am sure LOL

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I killed a Christmas Cactus once. Wait - I shouldn't be bragging about that - should I? I grow really good wheat inside my house for the cats to nibble and my fig that I didn't manage to get outside last year actually had three (miniature) figs. I have a bay leaf "tree" that is staying alive even though I do suspect the damaged leaves are due to cat teeth. I need a south facing sun room for all my dream plants - one of which would definately be a lemon.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Yank, I HAVE a wonderful south facing sun room. I think I owe it to everyone who doesn't to grow a Meyer lemon LOL. do you think DH would buy that one?

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

I promise to keep you all updated, hopefully with nothing but good news. The lemon tree is in a north-facing patio door, oh well, but supplemented with a 65w grow-lamp. It's about 18" tall from the rootball to the uppermost leaves. I plan on keeping it out on the deck come spring.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Update: tiny buds are forming, the precursors of flowers, I'm so excited. So far, the kitties haven't tread on the plant.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Brooklyn, that's great news! Send us a pic when it blooms, OK?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Congratulations! A Tree Buds in Brooklyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.