Allamanda seed pod... rarity?

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

My DW pointed out one morning to this. I hadn't even imagined that this allamanda would form a pod and that too like this spiny one. I began to wonder if this was some rarity. Any one know about this? The flower is seen at the background.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow, I've never seen a seedpod like this one on an Allamanda.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

mine never made a seed pod either. But today JanetOS gave me a cutting with the seedpod on it that looks just like yours. I am going to try to grow out the seeds. Not quite ready but having hard freezes so she cut it. Is your the Cherries Jubilee Dinu

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Mine is called purple allamanda. I have posted it in the Plant Files long time back. There is another variety of the same colour, but the blooms are almost twice as big as this. Not in my garden though. I'll have to watch out for the seed pod to mature.

Edinburg, TX

These are seed pods from the purple allamanda - a green seed pod and a brown one cracked open to show the winged seeds. The seed pods grow in pairs - don't forget the sap/milk from the vines can irritate your skin. Some species of allamanda are also supposed to be the larval host of the pseudotetrio moth. The caterpillars of that moth are awesome looking!!!

This message was edited Dec 9, 2006 8:05 AM

Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Thanks. The difference is the spines and also the shape. Do they grow as effectively as from cuttings?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.