Bend at the poll

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Boy was I surprised last night. Put my new surcingle on Romeo, put Chewie's french link snaffle on him (he's been in a tom thumb w/curb because he's a fan of a loose rein).

Put him out on a longe line, expecting a hissy fit, and I got the opposite. That little man longes, too! I figured, for the little I paid, his lack of balance & bend, that he'd freak out on the line, and have no idea what to do. He trotted off from me, (no bit contact at this point), cantered along, and when I said, "whoa", he slammed on the brakes and turned to face me. :) It was like a Clinton Anderson show on longing a horse. :) How funny!

Added the side reins & a little contact, and he sure did drop his neck down, but he won't bend at the poll. How can I help him learn what to do? Based on the time we've spent together, I don't think this is an issue of defiance. When I put him in the tom thumb & curb chain, from the walk, he'll stop, bend at the poll, & back up, still flexed. He'll flex side to side, but not always tucking like I think he should.

So, all you experts, how do I teach it? It may be that he hasn't ever been ridden without a curb chain of some sort, so he doesn't understand bit pressure as opposed to curb pressure... I'm not sure.

I'm still quite pleased to see he longes! :) Everytime I try something new with him I'm surprised that he's alwasy had at least a little experience.

In a training class at work all day, so don't get your mane in a knot if I don't answer...

This thread has 57 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!