Do I need a dormant period???

Delhi, IA

I took these 2 cuttings from a very young Tardiva Hygrandea around Sept. 1. Just purchased the plant and before setting it took 2 cuttings. I rooted them in sand and probably the first of Oct. potted them in potting soil. I don't have a greenhouse, just have them in a south facing window. As you can see, they are pretty small. No new leaves have formed___they are pretty much the same size as they were when potted up.
My question___can I keep it green and growing right through into spring, or does it need to shed it's leaves and go dormant in order to survive?

Thumbnail by jamlover
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't think you need to do anything--it may decide to lose its leaves and it may not, but I would not do anything to try and make it go dormant.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

I agree with ecrane3 too. At this point, let the plant concentrate on growing roots, not more leaves. In my readings on the subject of cuttings, the instructions say to start in the summer, wait about three weeks for roots to form and then plant outside right away to prepare the cutting for winter. Obviously some type of special winter protection is suggested for the first year when planted outside.

So does it need to go dormant inside the house? No. Should you force it? No. It will do that on its own if necessary. Because of that possibility, do not panic at the sight of brown leaves, think it needs more water or think it is dying for some other reason. Just insert a finger into the soil and determine if it feels dry, moist or wet; then take appropriate action.

Good luck,
Luis

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Bump

How did the cuttings grow, jamlover? Have you taken more cuttings and if so, how did they do and when did you take them?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.