Solexx

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Does anyone have any experience with Solexx panels? How do they compare to regular twinwall poly ?

MollyD

Keizer, OR(Zone 8a)

First, read this old thread: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/629435/ It is from the last time I talked about my Solexx greenhouse.

This winter (it's 18 degrees tonight) I've been growing salad green in this great greenhouse and have about 24 square feet producing. I have a small heater and growlights on a timer. I'm enjoying spinach, kale, chicory and mustard greens plus I have some beets and radishes.

I have a bed in ground of the greenhouse heated with soil heating cable attached to hardware and covered with 8 inches of potting mix where I'm growing cabbage, brussel sprouts, and cauliflower starts. I also have containers of perennials wintering over in the greenhouse that I put out on the deck in the summer and I'm propagating amaryllis starts from bulbs I've divided.

If you would like I could go out tommorrow and take a few photos for you of my winter greenhouse garden in my Solexx greenhouse.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Thanks!
I'm pretty much leaning towards using the Solexx panels when I build my new greenhouse. I'm in zone 4b so it's much colder here than where you live. My biggest concern was how much weight the panels could take (snow load) and how well they would insulate. I grow daylilies and need to maintain a temp of about 50-55 at night. Days I need to keep them below 80.
Like everyone else I'm trying to heat the greenhouse without going bankrupt. I currently have a cattle panel hoop house I made . The outside cover is 6mm film while on the inside there is a solar pool cover. This makes for an insulating dead air space. The winter so far hasn't been very harsh so it's been fairly easy to maintain the needed temps but I'm running out of space (it's 17 ft l x 8 ft w) hence the need for another GH. Also I need the rectangular space so it's easier to hang lights.

Thank you,

MollyD

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.