Amaryllis 'Ludwig Dazzler'

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

My first time growing this one. I like the upright habit.

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Very nice!

Tom

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Kniph~

Did you store any pollen to cross with that one? The pure white singles are used in breeding to get good new colors and are preferred for developing doubles.........

R.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Beautiful white!!

Mobile, AL

Kniph,

I am trying to figure out the differences in the various whites. I have Dazzler (not Ludwig, just Dazzler). I have Home Depot's White. I have a Lowe's NOID. I recently bought Intokasie from the B&B 50% off sale. I have Monte Blanc from Target. The last two have not bloomed yet.

I also have Amputo. It is smaller, has ruffles and appears to be diploid. I crossed it with Johnsonii with good success, and I suspect that Johnsonii is also diploid.

I know that the Dazzler is quite different from the Lowe's NOID. It is much larger, more recurved, less ruffles, and has a tendency to have red streaks in the petals. Home Depot's White appears to be identical to the Dazzler that I have. I have yet to find a difference.

I do not have Ludwig Dazzler. The photo makes the eye appear more yellow with a tinge of green, but my camera does that also when using a flash. How big is the bloom? How many blooms per scape?

Lots of questions. I'm trying to learn.

TIA!

Can you tell me more?

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I've not had that much experience with the whites, as I say this is my first year growing Dazzler (it's the same as Ludwig Dazzler, or Ludwig's Dazzler). I'd like to see it lined up with White Christmas, Intokazi, Matterhorn, Wedding Dance & Christmas Gift to see how different they all are. I have Vienna this year too, and Amputo. Bianca (Green Goddess) is one of my favorites, it has beautifully shaped flowers. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that the Picotee I bought (again) this year is true to name!

Veronica Read in her excellent book' Hippeastrum, the Gardener's Amaryllis', describes Ludwig's Dazzler as "Usually 4 snow white flat-faced blooms 8.5" per scape".

Do post some pics of your whites if you can, I'd love to see them.

Sue

Mobile, AL

Lowe's NOID...

Thumbnail by HSteacher
Mobile, AL

Closeup of the throat...

Thumbnail by HSteacher
Mobile, AL

Same blooms....

Thumbnail by HSteacher
Mobile, AL

Dazzler, last year...

Thumbnail by HSteacher

The whites I have experience with are Wedding Dance, Amputo, Intokazi and Jewel. Wedding Dance tends toward having pink spots and is not a pure white. Amputo is a nice smaller flower on a shorter stem and is pure white. Intokazi is a beauty! Large flower, many stems, pure white. Jewel is a mess. It is supposed to be a semi-double with a daffodil form. I really don't think it is market ready, because the inner petals are somewhat messy and brown quickly. It is fragrant - which I think is a plus, but fragrance at the expense of symmetry and an uneven maturation of the flower isn't what one would define as success.

I'm noticing that many of the newer Amaryllis have this problem of not being market ready. They struggle to bloom symmetrical, fully colored flowers. They bloom spotty and misshapen. I've also noticed that a vast majority of them either arrive with stag or rust type diseases, or succumb quickly after repotting. As a result, I bombard with copper and Cleary's, plant almost exclusively in Bonsai mix, and leave at least 50% of the bulb exposed.

I'm curious to know of others' experiences with the newer varieties.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.