iris cristata in a shade garden

Madison, WI

Does anybody grow iris cristata in a shade garden? How much shade can it take?
What would be good companion plants for it?

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I've been hoping someone would answer you because I've been wondering the same thing. I'm also wondering if they will do well in warmer zones. I'm in Zone 8 and have not had luck with any dwarf iris I've tried. I have a shady "dell" that I'd like to fill with Iris. If someone can answer both our questions it'd be very much appreciated!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I grow Iris cristata in a part-shade garden. It must be happy because it multiplies with total neglect. I have it growing amongst Hosta, Azaleas and a few perennials. No problems with growing it in zone 7. I would definitely try growing it in zone 8.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Madison, WI

Shirley,
Thank you for the post. This iris is reported hardy to 3a, but I did not know how easy or not it was to grow. I like your note on "multiplies with total neglect". How true, in your experience, is the water requirement of keeping it regularly moist?

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I grew it in for a few years in southern Vt in part shade and it thrived so well that I gave a bunch to my neighbor which she planted in a shady spot with Hosta and ferns. It has done well. Mine is another story, I made the fatal mistake of adding a nice pile of soil to my bed last spring and it promptly died. I am going to steal back some from her this spring. Make sure it is planted on the surface. The rhizomes should not be covered completely and it does like regular moisture. It is a lovely plant. Patti

This message was edited Jan 2, 2007 8:48 AM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I also have it in my zone and in the shade...and if left alone (nothing planted too close) or mulched..it will do well.

Madison, WI

I am glad that this iris likes neglect. I am thinking of putting it in a hard to get too
shady spot that is pretty bare at the moment. My only concern is the moisture requirement.
I am not sure that is stays moist all year round.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Well if it doesn't like nice rich dirt and it thrives on neglect, I'm in luck! :) I think I'll give it a try. Ordered some for my shady dell. We'll see how it handles the zone 8 heat! Happy to see the encouraging replies. Enya, i hope you'll post results of your attempt with them.

Deb

Clearfield, PA(Zone 5a)

Mine grows in the shade and the sun.

Raleigh, NC

I've not had mine a full season yet (but almost) and it is in full, dry shade in fairly bad (though loose) soil. Seems to be healthy and happy after almost a year--we'll see if it blooms this season--I put it in too late last year for blooms. It could probably take part sun farther north I suspect. I did water mine occasionally (we had a drought this year), but it seemed fine with fairly dry conditions.

Madison, WI

yotedog, thank you for posting your notes. Dry shade is almost what I have in that spot. It's on a slope, hence drains fast, though it's on the north side of the house, so it's shaded and does not get dry as fast.

Now I am pretty confident I should go for it and see if I can trade some iris cristata next spring for some bearded iris or wild ginger or interrupt ferns.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I have dug them up on plant rescues where they were growing in the woods on a fairly steep hill. They were doing great!

Carmen

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

That's interesting -- I bet they do well on a hill because any debris that lands on top of them washes off. I went crazy buying/planting them this past summer, but it is too soon to know how they will do. But my garden is largely on slopes, and because of erosion I end up slapping more soil on the hills periodically. I bet that will cause my cristata to rot . . . . and my plants are packed in so tightly that it will be hard to replenish the soil for all the plants except them cristata -- assuming I even remember where they are! We'll see. . . .

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

These are great suggestions. I guess I need to be more experimental. All your comments make me realize I probably have underwatered that area as well, which may account for why I haven't had great success there. I'm going to put in a home-spun irrigation system this spring, so I'll make sure not to ignore that area. If anyone has any other suggestions, please keep them coming! I really appreciate all your comments.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

happy_m: I put in a couple of drip lines in my dry shade areas and it seems to have cut down the amount of actual "watering" I have to do.
Deb

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

In zone 8 in SCentral Alabama the irises grow in about 3-4 hours morning light and spread at a moderate rate.

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I have iris cristata that's been under an oak for a couple years. Until the leaves fill out on the tree it gets steady sun--no problem. From there I'd say it is dappled shade w/ avg moisture. In one year it showed noticeable expansion. I added another under a red pine--can be a drier location, but it did fine in it's first season--will see how it comes up in the spring.

Schafer/Sacks - Joe Pye Weed's Garden have some lovely cristatas. www.jpwflowers.com

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

So far so good. The cristata I planted in my Ivy-covered shady dell are up. Just green at this point -'bout 3".
It's a start! (Yay.)
Deb

Madison, WI

MudGirl,
It's very encouraging to hear about success with this plant from people in similar zone.
I'll start hunting for the plant :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.