another one

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you Susan

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Susan, isn't that the same photo you posted in your first thread? I'm not sure what question you're asking, if any, or are you just showing us your cute new banana plant? I do like it! :-)

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes it is the same and thank you but I still dont know what kind it is... It seems when I look at them they all look alike... . Can you help me to ID this one... it is only a pup.. I am sorry but I am still getting use the forum thing... :-)
Thank you for any help
Susan

Fulton, MO

Susan, in my opinion, many of these bananas are difficult to tell apart. Of the ones with which I am familiar, it looks more like Dwarf Orinoco that the others, given the relatively long pseudostem. But it could be Dwarf Cav, Musa Basjoo, or one of many others. Maybe someone else can be more helpful. Take care. SB

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sorry, I can't be helpful with the ID either... I think there are a lot of bananas with plain green leaves, and I'm sure not expert enough to tell them apart when they're pups!

I do wonder if you need a bigger pot, though, looking at the photos you posted on your other thread... ?

Columbus, OH

Susan, can't your brother-in-law shed any light on this? Afterall, he dug the thing up from his plants that he's obviously been caring for for quite some time.

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Hello All and thank you... Yes it does need a bigger pot but I thought I would wait for spring no? My BIL knows nothing about this banana... he puts it out in the most awful dirt/clay and takes it in in the fall... Thats it.... The mother tree gets to around 10' with no extra care... like good soil,food, etc...
Thank you all for your help at least now I have somewhere to start looking...
Susan

Fulton, MO

Susan, has your BILs banana every bloomed?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

My first thought when I saw your banana was that it was an ornamental-because the stem is so skinny-while the banana is tall, and the leaves are solid green and skinny as well-both indicators of one of the ornamentals. I think that they can reach 10'-esp if he is bringing the entire corm in and so it can keep getting bigger each year. The fact that it only reaches 10' year after yr ( is that what you are saying?) also leads me to think it is an ornamental. Where does your bil live?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm just learning about bananas myself, planted them out last summer for the first time and am now trying to overwinter them... But I'd say that if your little pup is getting light and regular watering so that it doesn't go dormant or even semi-dormant, it would appreciate a bigger pot now rather than waiting for spring. See what our banana experts advise! :-)

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Hello All,
Thanks for all the info... I will repot the banana plant now instead of waiting until spring.. This plant as far as I know has never bloomed for the BIL... The mother tree is to big for his place if you ask me it has to bend at the top ... We live in Danville, VA. I really dont much care what it is to me it is just beautiful... that is the biggest banana plant I own so far... I have about 5 others that are smaller... I keep them in the house so far but this coming spring I will plant outside in the ground then take in in winter... Thank you all and anymore suggestions please let me know...

Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.