Thought you might enjoy this....

South San Francisco, CA

It's been a crazy fall here. I found this guy tucked behind a bunch of others of the same variety. What a great color pattern on the leaves. Anyone care to guess??

Thumbnail by nurserydude
Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Heck, no guesses here, but it sure is a pretty little guy! I thought the thumbnail might be of some sort of flowers, lol!

Laura

South San Francisco, CA

Laura:

It's actually about 6' tall. This is just the bottom branches, which were turning first. The whole tree eventually did this (and still is!). What's great about it is that it is in a block of 7 others from the same grower, same age, same location in the nursery, but it just decided to be a little different. If plants could willingly get a mohawk.....

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That is one spectacular tree! It's just beautiful. So let us know what it is already! Looks like a coleus to me. LOL

OK, I'll bite, what the heck IS it?

Laura

South San Francisco, CA

Shin de shojo, of all things. Not sure why this one up and decided to do this, but I'm tempted to mark the pot and see if it does it again next year. Chances are it will be gone, but who knows?

We've had a few superstars this year in regards to fall. Azuma murasaki (http://www.carlmontnursery.com/product.asp?product_id=586§ion=177) just blew our socks off.

Osakazuki akame was another that put on a show. The two pictures at http://www.carlmontnursery.com/product.asp?product_id=658§ion=177 were literally taken about 7 days apart. I took a few days off, came back, and whoa! What a difference a cold spell makes.

There were just soooo many this year that did great. I'm still collecting photos and trying to get them on the website ASAP. My Oranegeola at home was absolutely stunning.

I haven't seen this one in person yet...I'd be very tempted to keep it to see what it does! Coleus describes the effect perfectly. My first impression was that or clematis flowers looking just at the thumbnail.

Doss, too bad you don't have room for *just one more* ;-), but a 6' tree is pretty big.

I'm having fun looking through the other pics, too. Like the selector, it is giving me ideas for my little grove. It is a good thing for my pocketbook that I am on the wrong coast from you!

Laura

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

nurserydude~~ I have gone back and looked at that pic in your first post several times, and every time I just love it! Very interesting, and if it's still there next year I, too, would be curious if it does it again.

Cool tree!

Jam

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

OMG - Just one more - I'm getting rid of three this winter! Not that I want to but there's just not room for them. My eyes were bigger than my space. And one is Suminagashi which I'm terribly fond of. It has the most spectacular color all year long and never goes purple. That is beside it's name which I understand means a little bit of everything. Sigh.

That must feel like giving up babies. Can you gift them to friends or locations you go to often, or which are nearby so you can still enjoy them? Or...can you trade them for something smaller? ;-)

Laura

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.